4 Replies - 1257 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2016 - 03:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Mobile Development Guidelines (University Research Topic)

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:45 AM

Hi everybody. I am currently in the process of carrying out research regarding the use of guidelines for mobile development. The research gathered will be used to complete a report within my research module at Staffordshire University. The aim of this topic is to get a discussion going around the importance of guidelines for developing mobile applications. Participating is voluntary, if you choose to assist then I would like to thank you for taking the time to help me with my research.

Some research I've completed around this outlines that some guidelines that should be considered when developing for mobiles are as follows:
  • Reduce the amount of content
  • Single column layout works best
  • Present the navigation differently - top or bottom of page or place navigation in a drop down link
  • Minimize text entry
  • Design for touch-screen and non-touch screen users
  • Responsiveness - let users know their action/operation is being worked on
  • Communication - providing communication for every interaction
  • Take advantage of in-built functionality such as making calls, seeing addresses on maps, finding the nearest..
  • Device adaptation (screen size, resolution, type of keyboard etc)
  • Performance of applications
  • Availability of applications (offline apps)

How important do you as developers think these guidelines are in order to develop mobile applications?

Are all of these necessary? If not, which ones are most necessary?

When you first started developing for mobile applications, are there any specific guidelines you followed or adhered to throughout development?

Do the guidelines differ dependant on the mobile device? (iOS/Android/Windows etc)

Do you believe its possible to develop mobile applications without following these guidelines?

And lastly, could you please fill in this one question survey and choose which guidelines are most important to follow throughout mobile design and development - https://www.surveymo...co.uk/r/3P92F3C

You do not have to answer all these questions but some feedback on this topic would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mobile Development Guidelines (University Research Topic)

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mobile Development Guidelines (University Research Topic)

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

They all sound reasonable.

Necessary? Depends on the app goals.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

Single column layout works best

I think you're assuming that 'mobile' means 'small screen' IE: Cell phone.
Tablets these days are upwards of 2500x1920 pixels. If you're reading a book on a large tablet in landscape mode you probably want 2 columns so its more like two pages of a book.

I suggest you try to not memorize a list of rules for all apps, but rather apply some common sense and decent ergonomics.
For example, work from top to bottom. I hate it when an app has you put in info, hit check boxes etc then you go back to the to for the [submit] button. This is the USA, we speak English, we work from left to right from top to bottom. Follow that in the design of the page.

Navigation
Differs on brands: iOS is different than Android. And within the same brand it varies on screen size: phones use Master/Detail pages commonly, but a tablet has more room so it can display a navigation pane. Take a look at www.xamarin.com - look for their navigation guidelines. They produce software that lets you use a single code base for multiple mobile platforms, but still want you to keep the 'native' look and feel and behavior so the users feel at home on your app.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 15 March 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

Single column layout works best

I think you're assuming that 'mobile' means 'small screen' IE: Cell phone.
Tablets these days are upwards of 2500x1920 pixels. If you're reading a book on a large tablet in landscape mode you probably want 2 columns so its more like two pages of a book.

I suggest you try to not memorize a list of rules for all apps, but rather apply some common sense and decent ergonomics.
For example, work from top to bottom. I hate it when an app has you put in info, hit check boxes etc then you go back to the to for the [submit] button. This is the USA, we speak English, we work from left to right from top to bottom. Follow that in the design of the page.

Navigation
Differs on brands: iOS is different than Android. And within the same brand it varies on screen size: phones use Master/Detail pages commonly, but a tablet has more room so it can display a navigation pane. Take a look at www.xamarin.com - look for their navigation guidelines. They produce software that lets you use a single code base for multiple mobile platforms, but still want you to keep the 'native' look and feel and behavior so the users feel at home on your app.

Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful. I'll check out Xamarin also.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:43 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 15 March 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

They all sound reasonable.

Necessary? Depends on the app goals.

I agree with this comment, all the guidelines sound good, however they will change depending on what the app you create hopes to achieve.

I personally didn't have a set of guidelines or rules to follow when I started developing mobile applications like another poster above me said, it's about applying common sense, if you're creating a game then you may want to consider allowing users to play the game in different screen orientation, if you're creating a web app, then you want to put the navigation in a place which would be easily accessible, and ensure responsiveness and communication are efficient or else nobody will use the application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1