3 Replies - 1024 Views - Last Post: 17 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Reasonable starting job offer?

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

I'm graduating with a masters degree in CS and I'm wondering if 80k (no bonuses or stock options) is a fair offer? It will be in Texas. I'm graduating with a 3.9 GPA, and have 3 internships to date. I have many classmates making 115k+ including bonuses out of the masters program, albeit most of them are internationals, and working in the west coast, although some are in Austin. Are they just well above the average starting pay for masters students?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Reasonable starting job offer?

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Reasonable starting job offer?

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:50 PM

Only you can decide that. There are salary guides on line if you want to know what average wages are in your region, but ultimately it's up to you to accept or reject this or any offer. Some questions for you to ponder: Do you like the company? Do you feel that the work will be fulfilling? Do you expect to grow as a programmer and as a person at this company? Are the working conditions and location positive factors, or drawbacks? Are there other options open to you right now that you prefer? Are there avenues that would open up those opportunities, and do you have the time and means to pursue those avenues?

In the long run, you need to have a good sense of what it is that matters to you. How much of a pay cut would you take to feel like you were making the world a massively better place? How much of a salary rise would it take you to leave a job you loved for a job you felt like you'd probably hate? How much take-home income makes a decent life in your current location, in your mind? What do you want that money for, and how much does it mean to you?

Note that comparing salaries across regions is not very useful, since the cost of living makes a big difference to your actual lived experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

Frankly that saddens me. I'm making $80k/year after doing this for going on 2 decades. That's what happens when you stay a place not issuing raises, for 10 years.

I've seen what graduates can actually do in the real world, and frankly it isn't much. They know book information but can't code their way out of a wet paper bag. That they are earning $100k+ is crazy.

But as Jon rightfully pointed out making $100k where a 2 bedroom condo costs 3 million dollars is worse off then earning $80k where 2.5 acres and a 3bed/2bath cost me 70 grand. Its all about the demographics and cost of living of the area.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 16 March 2016 - 11:50 PM, said:

Only you can decide that. There are salary guides on line if you want to know what average wages are in your region, but ultimately it's up to you to accept or reject this or any offer. Some questions for you to ponder: Do you like the company? Do you feel that the work will be fulfilling? Do you expect to grow as a programmer and as a person at this company? Are the working conditions and location positive factors, or drawbacks? Are there other options open to you right now that you prefer? Are there avenues that would open up those opportunities, and do you have the time and means to pursue those avenues?

In the long run, you need to have a good sense of what it is that matters to you. How much of a pay cut would you take to feel like you were making the world a massively better place? How much of a salary rise would it take you to leave a job you loved for a job you felt like you'd probably hate? How much take-home income makes a decent life in your current location, in your mind? What do you want that money for, and how much does it mean to you?

Note that comparing salaries across regions is not very useful, since the cost of living makes a big difference to your actual lived experience.

good post. thanks, adds some perspective instead of just looking at salary. I'll probably take the offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1