7 Replies - 1174 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hearing back from job applications

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

How long do you typically wait to hear back from an employer regarding a job application? 5 business days?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hearing back from job applications

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hearing back from job applications

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

I'm not sure why this is in web dev.. moving to cubicle corner..

---

Five sounds about right.. depending if they indicated a time frame.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

If you are just cold-calling and submitting a resume, I wouldn't bother with any timeframe. Typically companies will hold resumes for up to a year if they are even remotely interested and contact you if a position they think you may be good for opens up. There is also the chance that you simply won't hear back ever. So feel free to apply to multiple places at the same time, it can also help out in negotiations if you are actively looking and the people interviewing you know that you have applied and are talking to other places.

Once you have started the interview process though, you should expect relatively quick returns on things, so I would say that 5 working days is fair to wait before pinging them to ensure you haven't fallen through the cracks. Some companies will try to wait until they have interviewed everyone they were possibly interested in before making an offer to anyone; so you do need to be aware of that (and look out for it, since they may also just drop you on the floor).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

After my 1st job in IT, I don't bother reaching out. Generally i'm working a number of opportunities so waiting before moving onto another option is only the fault of the potential employer. My first IT job, I mean my first REAL job do actual quality work, it took me 3 months to hear back from them. But then again, this was in 2004 & the job was found in the news paper, so it was a real old school way of doing things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 31 March 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

I'm not sure why this is in web dev.. moving to cubicle corner..

---

Five sounds about right.. depending if they indicated a time frame.

No time frame specified.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

I have interviewed with companies and not heard anything for a month. One place I was interested in, after interviewing said I wanted to much money. 3 months later they offered me the position. Another, I had a phone interview and was highly interested in, but a few weeks went by with nothing back and took a job with another company before they did respond.

Moral of the story, don't wait for one company and forget about going after other, you may be happier with the new company than the one you were waiting on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 31 March 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

I have interviewed with companies and not heard anything for a month. One place I was interested in, after interviewing said I wanted to much money. 3 months later they offered me the position. Another, I had a phone interview and was highly interested in, but a few weeks went by with nothing back and took a job with another company before they did respond.

Moral of the story, don't wait for one company and forget about going after other, you may be happier with the new company than the one you were waiting on.

This is a great answer. Sounds like Nike's slogan: 'JUST DO IT.'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

Don't wait. Apply for several employers. If they are interested in you, you can receive a reply in the same day or the next day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1