13 Replies - 995 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2016 - 01:33 AM Rate Topic: ***-- 2 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Problem with "dock" on web browser

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

Hello everyone !! I have an simple app(so far) which have only one web browser. There is an option called dock, which the web browser assigns it's size, to the borders of the form. I wanted to input a button on the top of the form, to put some settings for the user, so i changed the settings like that:

http://prntscr.com/anaktt

The result without maximize the form was that:

http://prntscr.com/analoa

The result is good. Is exactly what i want. But if i maximize it i get a huge space on top:

http://prntscr.com/anambb

Any idea how to fix that, in order for the web browser to "generate" itself, until the button on top ?? I have seen that on other programs, but i just can't find any topic about that.

Thanks !!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Problem with "dock" on web browser

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Problem with "dock" on web browser

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

I might suggest you're wasting your time doing this in WinForms. You might as well be coding in BASIC or VB6. WinForms is end of life, end of support from Microsoft.

You want to be coding for either WPF, or Xamarin which Microsoft is now including for free to MSDN subscribers. It won't be long before Xamarin is the new WPF - with the advantage of being cross-platform.

So spending all your time learning a dead technology won't do a darned thing for your HIRABLE skillset.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

I have installed some weeks ago xmarin cracked, but i didn't gave it much attention. So in WPF i can do this think ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

We do not support cracked software.

Yes, WPF will do what you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

I know that dreamincode doesn't support cracked software, that's why i don't ask support to that :)

I just create a random WPF project, it's a hole different think. There is complicated even to open a specific web site on web browser. The environment is configurable due to the html thing, but it's design sucks.

There is not a way to do that on Win Forms ?? In WPF i need a diploma in order to find how this works. I need to learn everything from the beginning..... :( I need many months to understand how this works, and many computers because i will need a new one each time i try to program something, from my nerves. So is there anyone that knows a way to do that on Win forms ?

This post has been edited by Rev0luti0n: 02 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

Ok, it seems that i found a way. I put the button into a Flowlayout, and dock it to top. And then simply drag and drop the web browser in the form, it automatically docks to the rest of the form ;) The only problem it's that the button doesn't "generate" itself, but anyway. i think i 'll find a way./>

This post has been edited by Rev0luti0n: 02 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:07 PM

You should not have needed the flow layout panel. In the past, I've done many projects where I have menus or buttons at the top and/or bottom of a and then had another control to fill the rest of the space. It worked correctly for adjustable window sizes and different DPI's. The key is adding the controls in the correct order and setting their dock styles correctly.

If you plan on working in this field for the long term, it behooves you to stay current. That means taking time to learn. Your avoidance of learning would get an automatic "No hire" from me, interview cut short. No point wasting your time or my co-workers time to continue with the interview.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:26 PM

I ended up to create a menu strip again :( Anyway, it does the work.

That's why probably i don't see the prospect to make it a profession. One of my problems as a person is that i get very angry when i try to work on a environment on which i don't like, but because it's new, the employer want's it. I can smash everything. That's why i work on Win forms. Simple, light and effective environment.

This post has been edited by Rev0luti0n: 02 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

Then best of luck staying back 20 years behind the times.

Honestly I don't bother with questions that are for WinForms anymore. I just don't see the point. I also don't answer questions regarding Commodore 64 or using a text file as a database, or how to make Win98 operate in today's world. Sure it *can* be done... But its hardly the right way to go in 2016. Just because you can do things the HARD way or the way it was done 15 years ago, using a technology that even Microsoft has shelved as end-of-life doesn't mean its a direction in which I want to waste my time supporting.

In WPF i need a diploma in order to find how this works. I need to learn everything from the beginning..... :(/> I need many months to understand how this works, and many computers because i will need a new one each time i try to program something, from my nerves.

Oh for the love of... Quit whining... Are you also crying about film being replaced by digital photography? Books by electronic publication? Horses replaced by cars?

Every technology gets replaced. If you had made an effort to keep current when WinForms was ANNOUNCED as being replaced (years ago) you wouldn't be in this mess now; so you have nobody to complain to but yourself. Today we are starting to see WPF either expanding to include Xamarin, or Xamarin replacing WPF. And years from now something else will replace that. If you are getting paid to write software and it seems you are since your employer is wanting you to do this work, then it is your responsibility to stay current. Accept it because you'll be doing it the rest of your career. If that makes you mad, then change careers.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 02 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:24 AM

tlhIn`toq Hahahahaha yes i am using text files to save information !! I am a '90 "programmer" :P

Cry ?? I didn't said that. I just get mad. I don't like that VS WPF uses this design. You can't see the output on this ridiculous design windows. Is everything so complex, to just put some simple things. I can't stand to that. If i have a boss that wants from me to take some things from a warehouse(some boxes for example) and put them with a specific way, on a specific order, i don't have problem. Why ?? Because i don't care. When we talk for an environment on which I have to create something, i want the environment to be how I want it. If that, will cost a career on this field, i accept it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

You sound like you think you can't lay out a screen the way you want. I don't know why you think that. I'll guess its just lack of working with it.

There is a shift in thinking from WinForms to WPF. But its not tougher. Its just different. Quit fighting it and and learn it. If you continue to try to force it to work the way old 90's forms worked then of course you're going to have issues. Its like saying your automatic transmission is hard to manually shift through: Well you're not using it as intended.

You also sound like you expect to be a professional with it after 3 hours. That's unrealistic. WPF doesn't know or care about your deadlines. The learning curve is the same regardless.

Since this thread has shifted away from actual questions to just whining about having to learn I'll be unsubscribing now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

If you really want to do drag n' drop layout, use Blend. The tool is targeted for the visual designers of a team to use in parallel with the devs working on the program logic.

Think of XAML as HTML for applications.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

Xamarin is now free: http://arstechnica.c...-visual-studio/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:33 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 03 April 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

If you really want to do drag n' drop layout, use Blend. The tool is targeted for the visual designers of a team to use in parallel with the devs working on the program logic.

Think of XAML as HTML for applications.

I didn't knew blend. I will take a look.

Yes, the topic purpose is now gone. Please Skydiver close or delete the topic to do not spam anymore :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1