3 Replies - 926 Views - Last Post: 21 April 2016 - 12:15 AM

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Beginner resources for a beginner

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:23 PM

Someone I know seems interested in learning to program. He is ~16 and is about to take his Standard Grade exams at school. I was asking him about his subjects and after he rhymed them off, he said he would have liked to take computing but that it didn't work out. He also tried to look up some programming stuff on his own but it didn't make sense to him. Then he told me about some kickstarter game he had found where the idea was to finish programming the game.

Anyway, he seems to be quite interested in programming. School has let him down and he may just need a little guidance to get started on his own. I'm looking for some fun introductions to programming. Currently I'm leaning towards recommending Python or Javascript (although I'm open to ideas) and I think something that teaches the fundamentals of the language in the context of building a bigger project would be a nice introduction.

For the moment I would like to stay away from handing him a 1000 page "Language X" book. If he takes to programming, that would be a good second step but for now I would just like to help him discover if programming is his thing.

I would be grateful for any suggestions! :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginner resources for a beginner

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginner resources for a beginner

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

Get him a project, grab him a language, and go. I am not sure about javascript, but maybe one of the per, ruby, python, lua, etc areas.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in two minds about javascript. It's quirks are often the subject of ridicule and those quirks might be tough for a beginner. On the other hand it is so ubiquitous these days. I like your other language suggestions.

As far as a ptoject goes. I am looking for a resource that already has one picked out and guides the beginner through creating it. I don't want to mentor him myself. Just point him in the right direction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:15 AM

Just a suggestion but, if his interest is in computers and programming, then perhaps he could get hold of a Raspberry Pi. The default language for this is Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1