7 Replies - 1053 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Salary of a part time independent software developer vs web developer

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Hello everyone,

Some time ago, I learned how to program in C++ as a hobby. Then, I stopped programming
for quiete a while, but came back to it a few weeks ago. While trying to program a bit C++ here and
there again, I came to the conclusion that C++ might not be the best choice if it comes to part time
development.

And thus, I decided that I should learn something new. I doubted between software development and web development,
as I think that both paths are very exciting. I couldn't only choose between them, as I like them both equally.

So I decided to let my choice depend on which one is likely to add some money to your wallet if you
practice it. For this, you have to keep in mind that I'm not applying for a job in the industry, but that I do
it next to my daily life, i.e. as a part time independent developer.

I would be glad if you would like to share your opinion about this.

BTW: I know this is question can't be answered with sureness, as a big part of the answer depends on your own
commitment and idea's, but that why I'm asking what would be more likely in my situation, and in which way?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Salary of a part time independent software developer vs web developer

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Salary of a part time independent software developer vs web developer

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:58 AM

What is the question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Excuse me if I didn't make it clear,

the exact question is: would it be more likely that someone who programs in his spare time as a hobby will earn some money with software development or with web development.

As I said, I know this depends much on your commitment and idea's, so that why I'm not asking about numbers or something like that, but I'm asking only which one would be more likely to do this.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

would it be more likely that someone who programs in his spare time as a hobby will earn some money with software development or with web development.

The short answer - yes. Plenty of web work and plenty of non-web work out there. Check your local area needs and appropriate freelance sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

Thanks, but I still think I didn't make my question clear enough, so sorry again.

But I didn't mean if it was possible to do it in one of the fields, but which one would be more likely to bring in some cash for
an independent part time developer.

ADD: software development could include mobile development too in this question (Android), as I'm planning to use Java for that.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

And the question was answered. Yes. The type of development doesn't matter, money can be made in any and all of them. It just depends on you: your skill level, the people you know that need something or how you market your services, ect.

Nothing is more or less fruitful, it just depends on several factors that we can't answer for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

the exact question is: would it be more likely that someone who programs in his spare time as a hobby will earn some money with software development or with web development.

Yes of course. Even part time developers earn decent salary quite enough for a living but that's dependent on your level of expertise regardless of what programming language you are using.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

I think part of what you might be missing is that Web Development is Software Development.

Web Design (basic markup, visual layout) is a different animal, and maybe what you're thinking of as different.

But I write desktop applications and websites using the same IDE and languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1