Can I still get a job in software with an expunged record?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3021 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can I still get a job in software with an expunged record?

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:07 PM

I'm new to this forum so I'm still learning the ropes here, but anyways. I'm a 20 year old college student studying computer science and someday want to become a software engineer. Awhile ago I was arrested, but I never served jail time for it and its a misdemeanor. The record can eventually get expunged meaning it can "wiped" off since this is my one and only offense. I was wondering is it possible for me to work in software with an expunged misdemeanor record?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can I still get a job in software with an expunged record?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can I still get a job in software with an expunged record?

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Not sure what your expecting to hear... but just like the "no experience" or "no college" questions, while it maybe possible it's going to be incredibly difficult. For the negative mark against you, you'll have to be that much better than your competition for the position. Ideally the company wants to make money & hire the best talent. The more sensitive the data, the more unlikely they will be willing to take a risk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 12 May 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

Not sure what your expecting to hear... but just like the "no experience" or "no college" questions, while it maybe possible it's going to be incredibly difficult.

Well since you put it that way does that mean I should just give out and drop out of college?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

If you are not able to take a challenge, & are hoping for something easy, yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

Actually, look up what expunged means. Expunged is the state in which your record is cleared for all public intents and purposes. So, if your position does not require contracts with government agencies, military, or law enforcement AND the misdemeanor is not one of moral or dishonesty, you should be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 12 May 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

If you are not able to take a challenge, & are hoping for something easy, yes.

So even with an expunged record I can't have a job working in software?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:01 AM

It sounds like you are already looking for an excuse for failure.

As noted above, for most private institutions, an expunged record is essentially hides the fact from private employers (unless they have really good background checkers), because you can legally answer "No" to the question about past misdemeanors. On the other hand, if you will be working with the government or law enforcement, my understanding is that you are forced to disclose this fact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:10 AM

Awhile ago I was arrested, but I never served jail time for it and its a misdemeanor.

I'll bite - for what?

Arrested but not jailed? Hell - we have folks who were collared for a felony, are out, and are making their way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

You should actually be ok...

especially if its like for assaulting someone.

As noted if you are working for the Government or say in schools or prisons you will have to disclose it and what it was for.

But even then you can still be employed.

The FBI for example employ convicted hackers because they need their particular talents.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

There are a few things to say on this topic.

- Hiring policy varies widely among organizations, and any question of the form "Can I get a job as a programmer even though..." is probably answered by "Yes, you just have to find the company that wants to hire you". Yes, some companies will reject an applicant with a criminal record out of hand, but many companies will view this as just one factor in a hiring decision, and not always the most important factor.

- However, "expunged" usually means expunged. That is, it's no longer on your record. Depending on the nature of the offense, you might want to just let it go. It's possible everyone else already has.

- Also, misdemeanor is not a felony. Generally, applications do not ask about misdemeanors.

- Since you're in school, you should talk to the careers office. That's what they're there for, and they will be able to give your question more consideration than we will, and they'll have more expertise and experience so you'll get a better answer.

- But my feeling is, if you're concerned about this being an issue, you should be the one to bring it up. Better to be overly honest than to have to explain the omission.

- Finally, there is currently a movement in the US to eliminate the criminal background check as a standard part of job applications. The idea is that once someone has been through the criminal justice system, they are considered to have "paid their debt to society" and there is no societal benefit to keeping them from working and being active members of legit society. (the practical argument is just that if you lock someone out of the legal working world, you more or less guarantee that they will re-offend)
The slogan is "ban the box", and you might want to look into it. Even though it sounds like it doesn't affect you personally, it's a pretty important social justice movement, and maybe you can help make the world a little better.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

I'm 21 years old and studying computer science in college. Someday I want to work as a software engineer at places such as Google. To be honest a while ago I had a little run in with law enforcement which resulted me having a low class misdemeanor which I'm currently working on getting expunged and a few hours of community service since it was my first and only offense. Despite of having an expunged misdemeanor record is it still possible for me to become a software engineer? Can't companies like Google just look up my name on the internet or pay an agency to look at the record?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:43 PM

Misdemeanors - a lesser issue than, say a felony. So, yeah.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

Can't companies like Google just look up my name on the internet

From Google's perspective that would an INTRAnet search of local servers - They basically are the 'net.

Don't worry about which company. Working at google isn't any more rewarding that working for Widget & Gadget Software. In many ways there's far more opportunity being with a small/medium facility. At Google you'll always be part of the latest batch of newest grunts with little chance to move up because those slots are filled and will remain that way until someone dies or retires. If you're aiming at a company instead of the enjoyment of coding then you're looking at the wrong career field. I'd do it for free all day long if there was some other mechanism for feeding and housing my family. One of my best gigs was working for a company you've never heard of, getting paid to travel the globe making software for amusement parks. Every installation was at a destination spot from Singapore to New Zealand. At Google you'll be in a cubical on their campus every day.

That said... Anybody and do a search for just about anyone. Welcome to the internet age: Your entire life is out there forever.

Generally speaking however misdemeanor's won't affect job hunting. Felonies however will virtually guarantee a job with your name embroidered on a patch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:33 PM

So basically working for places like Google, Apple, etc. isn't worth it? Also can a company also pay some agency or whatever to see my charge that way?

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 11 July 2016 - 06:51 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

Didn't you already ask this in the Corner Cubicle already? Why not just pick up that thread again?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +