9 Replies - 1310 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why is it taking the company so long to hire me? :(

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

I am going to make this as short as possible.

At the end of March I applied for an internship at a company called removed to be a Java Developer. I am informed that they are in the RnD phase of the company.

On the 4th of April I met with the CEO and two of the "head software developers" who seemed really keen on getting me on board with them as soon as possible. At the end of the meeting they told me I'd be hearing back by the 20th with the NDA and Developer's Agreement... and there was nothing. On the 4th of May I receive an e-mail from one of the head developers and was told that the CEO was still "keen on moving forward" and that I would be contacted "by the end of next week" (this was about ten days ago). I had to e-mail them on the Saturday of that week because I was getting a bit antsy and it wasn't until that following Monday that I received a response from the head developer saying "hopefully I'll be talking with him this afternoon about how things are going". That was exactly seven days ago and I have heard nothing since, but my hopes are still being held up because I was contacted after about a month of silence...

I just don't understand as to what could possibly be taking them so long. I am still a student so maybe there is some funding to be processed from the government? Because they are in the RnD phase of a start-up they may not have had an intern before... I just don't know, but I feel like I am being strung along a bit.

What do you think?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why is it taking the company so long to hire me? :(

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why is it taking the company so long to hire me? :(

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

I would have been looking at other options this entire time.

I would also not mention company names when grousing about said company on the web.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

Yea...Yum Brands did this with me. Took 2 months before they extended an offer. In that time I found a different job and had to turn them down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

Probably because you posted this in the caffeine lounge & not in the corner cubicle.... *moved*
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 23 May 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

Probably because you posted this in the caffeine lounge & not in the corner cubicle.... *moved*

My apologies, fella.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

Companies move at their pace, not the pace you want them to move at. There are any number of speculations that could be causing a hold up. You are not the only person interviewed. The developers don't make decisions and can't tell you anything. The CEO is waiting on finalizing a contract before they have work to bring on additional people. I could come up with several possibilities, some may be right, some maybe completely wrong. If you don't like their process go to another company, you are not their only candidate and they should not be yours.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 23 May 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Companies move at their pace, not the pace you want them to move at. There are any number of speculations that could be causing a hold up. You are not the only person interviewed. The developers don't make decisions and can't tell you anything. The CEO is waiting on finalizing a contract before they have work to bring on additional people. I could come up with several possibilities, some may be right, some maybe completely wrong. If you don't like their process go to another company, you are not their only candidate and they should not be yours.

You are very correct, hence why I was looking at other options for the entirety of last month and up until the 4th of this month. I stopped "looking" when they sent me that e-mail saying that they were keen to move forward... I think I sent close to 100 resumes in the month of April alone looking for work term experience (non-paid) and they were the only company that responded positively and gave me hope. If I don't hear back by Friday I am going to start the process again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Until you've got the job in hand, keep looking.

If you're dealing with a company small enough that you can get the entire staff around a dinner table, then things can move pretty fast (both in terms of hiring, and in terms of collapsing). As soon as you get past this level, things take longer, as has already been mentioned, and they become quite unstable. If you're being hired for a project, there's probably a lot of internal negotiation going on, some of which might end up with you getting dropped at the last minute. It's nothing personal, it's just the way business works.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 23 May 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

Until you've got the job in hand, keep looking.

If you're dealing with a company small enough that you can get the entire staff around a dinner table, then things can move pretty fast (both in terms of hiring, and in terms of collapsing). As soon as you get past this level, things take longer, as has already been mentioned, and they become quite unstable. If you're being hired for a project, there's probably a lot of internal negotiation going on, some of which might end up with you getting dropped at the last minute. It's nothing personal, it's just the way business works.

Understandable. I took what you've said into consideration and decided to just start handing out applications today... I really can't afford to wait at this point.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

I just don't understand as to what could possibly be taking them so long.

-They are still looking for someone who fit the job.

If I were you, I will be sending out my resumes to as many as possible web development companies in the country. In this way, I can afford to choose whom I want to work for. Only until you seen and signed the contract agreement, keep your options open.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1