8 Replies - 721 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Framework Advice?

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

So, after reading the digital metric tonnes of debate regarding the death or continuation of PHP... I decided that I don't really care, haha. I've got a project I want to take on, solo. I don't want it to be big, just functional and scalable later on.

Thusly! I have decided it'd be much more profitable for me to ask experienced developers straight up about a certain project than try to franken-stitch a cluster time bomb of ideas together in hopes that it work as intended. So, I need suggestions on what routes to take for my particular project.

Front-End Goals
Big one here's the UI/X! As this will be a web-based game (with a desire to turn it into a cross-platform mobile application later) the UI/X and how it's built and maintained is a very important part of the task; more so than usual, methinks.
  • Templating; the same page layout that gets outfitted with variably different information depending on the data it's using. For instance, user profiles.
  • Handling the front-end aspect of players being able to make changes to data in real time (via AJAX or what-have-you)
  • Making sure the templating is easy to read and maintain.
  • Dynamic; should be able to update certain parts in real time. For example, the new-fangled form validation stuff going on

Essentially, I need a dynamic - but not intricately so - way to template that would make it a breeze for players to... say, put some of their gold into a bank... in real time, minimizing page refreshes but interacting (or reacting? idk) appropriately.

Back-End Goals
This one's where the harder bit's at. Put simply, I want to use PHP, but I'm not against beginning to learn another language that would serve better in the following ideas...
  • Security. I need a framework that'll help with securing player interactions, whether from them or from other malicious threats (not discounting PDO)
  • Templating, like above, but I need to know if there's any particular way I should organize my logic in order to keep the code and mechanics safe while still allowing free gameplay.
  • PHP (or whatever backend) and AJAX will need to talk to each other; make DB interactions and the like.
  • Needs to be able to smoothly translate into and be compatible with back-end stuff on a mobile application, though I imagine HTTP requests and the like wouldn't be difficult (never done mobile dev'ing)
  • Way to store unique instanced information... for example, pieces of gear will be able to be upgraded; what specific upgrades and the like will be unique to each piece of gear.
  • Timers! Idk anything about cron jobs and the like, so timing buffs or cool downs or events will be a bit more of a challenge for me.

If you want to know exactly what I'm after, play the game Fallen Sword. I'm pretty much trying to create a replica in order to 1) satisfy myself and 2) learning experience. Would be awesome to write on any future resume that I built a badass web game and made it into a mobile application, too.

I'm taking absolutely any advice, aside from "don't start this big" or "PHP sucks" or suggesting I skip the web-based part. Or anything that says no. Because I'm going to do this. And it will be awesome.
Thanks, guys! :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Framework Advice?

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Framework Advice?

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

Then just pick something and start going with it. Asking what framework is like asking what language, everyone is going to give a different answer than the other.

It is a hefty project that has high aspirations, plan every detail and every piece before you start coding anything. That should be the longest part of the project, and is the most important.

Good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

But what with people's experiences, I'm hoping to weigh one against the other. Some may know the specifics about how one tempting engine deals with formatting vers another, or how robust or expandable a client-server framework would be.

In which case, I could even say I'm asking if MVC would be best in this case against any of its cousins.

It's more or less that I know of names like Node and Twig and Smarty and Laravel, but on a personal experience basis I got nuthin'. On one hand, a person could advise doing this project without any particular framework to get a grasp on the concepts, then looking to applying a framework for the sake of perfection. That sounds like something I'd do. But what I'm looking for is examples and experience to give me at least a general idea of each option, from the perspective of someone's who worked with that framework for some time.

This post has been edited by iLiTH: 03 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

It's more or less that I know of names like Node and Twig and Smarty and Laravel, but on a personal experience basis I got nuthin'.

Then pick something and start playing with it. Make mistakes, learn from them, move along.

If you don't want to sully your Big Idea by using it as a testbed for these platforms, write this. Do it over and over, in each framework that you want to understand. It's small enough that you can do it without burning a lot of time, and it's big enough to at least get a feel for what the platform feels like, and it's not your idea so if you don't like what you get, you can walk away from it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

If you want to build this like a traditional website, using PHP and AJAX and old-school form submissions. I'd suggest frameworks like Symfony or Laravel. - I've had good experiences with Symfony on large projects. It's great once you get used to it. On the other hand, getting used to it is a bit involved, so simpler things like Laravel might be less of a hurdle.

If you want to build this as a more "cutting edge" web app, then you might consider the MEAN stack. Basically NodeJS with MongoDB, Express and AngularJS. Often includes Socket.IO as well, for easy WebSockets. - The main difference between this and the PHP route is that more is put into developing client-side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

Well, I think I'm going to stick to using PHP & JS - with some templating engine (since getting Laravel working is proving to be a chore at the moment) - and I was wondering what y'alls opinion was on using MongoDB specifically for this project, since I do need to store unique instances while at the same time I need the relational designs that come with users and their respective data?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

I would say go ahead. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? You find out that it doesn't do what you want, and you swap it out. Better to try it now than to try to swap it in later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

Mongo is a solid performer.

Laravel is a pain, you may want to look at Code Ignitor as well. Most modern frameworks, do make use of composer, if you are not familiar with it, it is another item to investigate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

If your into game development, why not use Unity framework?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1