5 Replies - 1427 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Confused--Web Dev. Or Android?

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

I'm kind of confused on what path to go on between Android development and Web development. I'm a junior in high school right now and I want to do something to impress colleges and be able to learn programming for my own benefit. I keep switching back and forth between Android development and web development and never really learned one well. I stopped midway into Java and Android development to web development. It seemed easier to do and make money with so I took a Udemy course which taught me how to make websites with bootstrap and HTML&CSS. I was stuck with nothing to do so I enrolled in some more courses to build blogs after learning back-end development and Python. At the same time, I began wondering if it's gonna do me any good since the courses are really long. I enrolled in another Android Development course. Now I'm confused and not sure what to do. I want to be able to learn something useful that can make money and at the same time impress colleges.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Confused--Web Dev. Or Android?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Confused--Web Dev. Or Android?

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

Find projects; do both.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:55 AM

If you're confused about what you want to do with your life then put college off for a couple years. "Gap Year" I think is the popular term these days. Do a short stint in the Army: There are some jobs that will let you have as little as a 2 year enlistment. See the world, learn some skills, grow up a bit, find yourself, gain some meaningful benefits such a being able to get low-interst house mortgages as a vet.... THEN decide what you want to do with your life and go to college for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:07 AM

Try web development project first. Android development will come easy afterwards. The select which field you want.
Take your time when making your decision.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

When I get to college, I'll major in EE,since its a broad field, and minor in Computer Science. Right now, I just want to do something that will help me impress college admissions and learn something that can become a hobby. I could also try to make some money as well before I go to college. I've looked at everyones suggestions and I guess ill continue web development. I'm gonna finish JQuery and go onto Pyhton for server-side. After that, hopefully I can try for an intern or maybe get a freelancer job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

When I get to college, I'll major in EE,since its a broad field,

EE is not a very broad topic. If your looking to learn programming in College, EE will only teach you the basics (most likely C). It will consist of circuit analysis, semiconductors, electromagnetics, control theory, discrete / continuous systems, and a ton of math.

Sounds like you want something that has the hardware topics of EE, but also the programming side of CS. CE (or CPE) computer engineering blends the two fields. I suggest taking a look at the curriculum.

This post has been edited by jjl: 08 November 2016 - 05:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1