4 Replies - 492 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi Community , I need your advice

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

Hi , I know this going to be out of topic in this forums.. I just want to know your advice.

I was a graduate student of Hospitality and Restaurant Management (HRM) , It was a mistake for me to choose that path as my career ..
I do not want to blame anyone , but I had to take that course because of my family. Most of my relatives work as a Waiter in a Cruise line so my parents were hoping that I could be successful with the same career. But when I was young , I know what I want and that involves working on a computer. I was able to go on a cruise but that didn't work for me.

Now what I want to know is , is it ok for me to go for my passion which is programming at the age of 22 (actually im turning 23 this november) , It is going to take me atleast 3 more years of studying .. But I really want this , not because of the pay or whatsoever , I want this because I am happy when I'm working with computers.

When I was 9 y/o , I took my computer apart and try to assemble it again , because I want to know how computers work. and as I get older I get problems with my computer and started working on it myself by just reading the forums or thinking "what is causing this problem" .. I'm really into computer specially with programming .. I don't know much about codes but I know I want to make one and be frustrated with the errors .. Im a type of a person who doesn't stop until I get the answer.

This is going to be my LAST CARD for my life. I want to know what you think is the best for this situation. and is it still good for me to study again in this age.

Thank you , i'll be more than happy if you guys will be going to be frank with me .

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi Community , I need your advice

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi Community , I need your advice

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:56 AM

is it ok for me to go for my passion

Yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:57 AM

You are still very young. I love post of twenty something's that think they are at the end of life.

Go after what you want to do and figure out where YOU FIT IN. It's your life, not an extension of your parents. And quit acting like you need to decide what will become of your life now, you haven't really had one yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 11 June 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

You are still very young. I love post of twenty something's that think they are at the end of life.

Go after what you want to do and figure out where YOU FIT IN. It's your life, not an extension of your parents. And quit acting like you need to decide what will become of your life now, you haven't really had one yet.

Thank you for that. Its just that right now everything is not going well. I was just hoping that age doesn't matter when you want to become what you want to be, specifically programming . Maybe I just got carried away with our tradition , that in the age of 21 and up and you don't have a career . you're useless . I'm an asian btw.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Can you take up programming and make it a career at the ancient age of 23? Absolutely. The only thing that matters is your ability: if you can deliver the goods, you will get the work.

Take your time, don't rush, learn the fundamentals of computer science and software engineering, and keep learning forever, and you'll have a gig as a programmer for as long as you want to work in the field.

This is going to be my LAST CARD for my life.

I sincerely doubt this. Very few people really know what they want in their 20s, and nobody wants the same thing throughout their life. It sounds like the next thing for you is programming - so go to it. In ten years, it might turn out that you have an idea that you think will change the world - then you have to decide whether you're an entrepreneur or not. Or perhaps you'll discover a passion for some related discipline (databases, security, networking, who knows?) and move into that area. Or perhaps you'll be like my girlfriend's hairdresser and decide after a time that programming just isn't what you want to do anymore, and you'll move along. Life is long, you've got a lot of cards left in your hand. Play them well, but don't forget to play them. As the man said, the cards ain't worth a dime if you don't lay them down.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1