Do I need webhosting, forums, or both?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 3030 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Do I need webhosting, forums, or both?

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

I need some advice but I am not entirely sure what all to include. Yet I know I post walls-of-texts, so I want to refrain from putting up unnecessary info. I am completely lost on what I am looking for after reading back several pages on here. I am a complete noob about this stuff, and it has been difficult to pinpoint what to look into for what I need.

• I want a place that I can use to host some files. Maybe a couple hundred mb, but I'll say a gig to be sure.
  • I am uncertain of the amount of traffic or bandwidth, but it will likely be relatively low (I have nothing to compare it to).
  • I want to have a few forums, something small so I can list projects, and list the details of those projects there, and Q/A about the projects. Forum threads can double as dev blogs.
  • I would like for it to have a domain name and an email address.
  • I would like for it to have a regular webpage front that I can customize.
  • I have a small client/server game project that I am working on extending, and would like to use the same service for it.
  • Scaleable - If I need more space, bandwidth, pages, or emails later down the road.
  • I have money, but want the most logical choice for something relatively small that I will be tinkering with trying to learn as I go. Arms and legs should stay attached.

From what I have read so far I want to stay away from the big name hosting places. I see a lot of mention about DigitalOcean.com, but no mention of forums that I have come across. Not entirely sure if this is something I can add to it if I purchase a monthly plan.

Searching for forums, I know I want to stay away from "Free" because if there are ads or links I want to be the one to decide what is shown and the location of where they go. I like phpbb.com the most out of what I have come across, however, I am uncertain if this will support a lot of my requirements above like being able to host my files, images, and use it for my client/server app to go through.

I have worked with "Free" forums before, but they are always hosted by the site. Phpbb is a download, and my guess is I can use a web host for pretty much everything, and install the forums on it...or is this incorrect?

After reading that if something pops up that you can recommend I would appreciate it and will give me a definitive direction on what specifically I need to look into before spending money on something I do not need. If there is are different recommendations for better forums or hosting for small projects such as this, those would be helpful as well.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do I need webhosting, forums, or both?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do I need webhosting, forums, or both?

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

I pay about 10-12 a year for a domain name and 20/year for hosting.. It serves my needs and has little down time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:07 PM

Where at? It would work for what I need to look into?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:13 PM

I would figure. Domain name with 1and1.. Hosting: a1whs
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:37 PM

Okay, so I guess I am correct about the forums being setup on the host then.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

Digital Ocean, from my experience is a VPS & not the same as hosting. You will boot an ISO image that installs the OS of your choice & you ether have a destop or a prompt. If you want to use cPanel, you have to install it & support it. If you want to install Apache, nginx, or both, you have to install them & support them. You have to maintain your own firewall. It's essentially a server, hosted by them, in a VM environment. This is not the same as BlueHost, GoDaddy, & so on. Now, they may offer VPSes for use, but it's not standard webhosting.

& it goes without saying, that you will also have to install, maintain, & support your own Forum software if you use Digital Ocean.

Lastly, I'll add that AWS will give you a year free on a small tier, that is comparable to Digital Ocean.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

Thanks, that clarifies what they are and that I don't need something like that for my use.

I checked AWS, and they offer cPanel on reseller packages. From what I understand it is not needed, but makes things much easier to perform tasks with. Since web development is foreign to me, it may be worth a few extra dollars to get that.

That being said, since I am not "Reselling" anything, not certain how well this applies to me.

The Starter Reseller looks like it would be a great match though, but so does the Lite Shared Starter which is half the price. The reseller packages have MySQL databases though, which I have no idea yet if I want my client/server app to use a flatfile DB, or work with one online. Considering I want the site to display servers and #of connected clients, that may be worth looking into though.

Much to learn here, I have...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

Signing up?

I have a couple of additional questions trying to sign up. On 1and1:

Attached Image

I read the pdf regarding "private" but it still appears in the T&C that information is still publicly listed? I'm not trying to hide from the NSA or anything, but still unsure which of these is the best option.

a1whs.com - Step 2: Configure package
It lists Private NameServers for additional monthly fees. I had to search what that was, and from what I am gathering, even if I register for a domain name I have to add this option to use my own domain name I am purchasing from 1and1?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:34 AM

Yes.. I purchase my domain with 1and1.. and hosting with a1whs. When I had my hosting I was given an ip address to plug into 1and1 to point the domain to that hosting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

So I probably don't need a reseller package then so I can get the cPanel?

This is only applicable if I am actually reselling, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

Correct..

side note - 1and1's has free privatization of whois data.. I would take advantage of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

As always, much appreciated!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

Please don't laugh, :stupid:

I see no actual way to edit/modify anything on a1whs dashboard. I thought once I had my domain through 1and1, then purchased my Lite Plan Starter package, there would be some way to do something...like modify stuff so that when I browse to my domain name I can see a page of some sort.

Is this something that takes a while to setup on their end? I just want to make sure I have done everything right and have not goofed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:25 AM

I do not know where you are, nor am I their customer service. You should have a panel that shows stats in terms of bandwidth, usage, various components to add, email, activity stat tracking, etc. The actual files you can use filezilla to upload or use their file editor app.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:51 AM

No, I have none of that yet, which was along the lines of what I would assume I would be able to see/do. I'm going to give it a bit and hopefully this just takes a while for them to setup. This is just new, so I have no idea what I am supposed to be seeing at this point. Provided there was something there for me to look at I can look stuff up, but there isn't.

Thanks again!

Edit: Update...This is a billing issue. They use paypal to accept payments. The site account is in my name, but our family paypal account I paid with is in my wifes name. Don't know how to proceed with them, but have a ticket and working with customer service regarding this issue. This has never been an issue before...first time for everything I guess.

This post has been edited by Recoil: 13 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +