14 Replies - 1192 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Lua Scripting Mainly Roblox Lua

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

Hi, I was searching the net maybe wrong sites, I am looking for job positions for my son maybe an internship because he blows me away when it comes to lua. He pretty much knows the main concepts and uses the Rolox version the most and is 16. I am trying to find the proper place so he could use his genius so that he could find a job to do what he likes and not worry about dunkin donuts and places like that. I rather him get a intern position so he can learn not to be so lazy. However, I can't find a good site for him to place his coding abilities on or even look for this proper position. Is indeed good or is there better coding job hunt sites i should put him on. I figured since he loves it and is super smart with math and all that I would like some better insight as a parent thank you all :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Lua Scripting Mainly Roblox Lua

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Lua Scripting Mainly Roblox Lua

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Moved to Corner Cubicle.

It's not unheard of for 16 year olds to get internships, but it's hard. They'll most likely be unpaid. You might search for high school IT internship programs or consult with the votech program at your school district.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

I'm curios - what does he come up with in Lua?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

he don't live with me one of the reasons why I am asking here. Most sites looking for people with experience. was wondering besides the forum if there was anything else he could do to learn and show his skills online. Like I knew of a site that he could take on projects, but that was for web development, but if he could do something like that with Lua he can make money on the side and save up for all his sneaker business. He cleans up very expensive sneakers and resells them. Yes people do that a lot I guess he mainly trades up but he that smart :)

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

I'm curios - what does he come up with in Lua?

Well in his old account on Roblox he makes his character have dragon ball z powers. He is getting lazy so has not done it in a while and haves no internet at his mothers house so it pisses me off he cant' work on it better. He mainly does stuff like this and use to help others that created games create weapons for them. He was 13 or 14 trying to understand vectors for gaming development in Roblox :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

I would suggest pushing him into another language. Lua's nice, but niche, and certainly limits the "internship" pool down to a dribble.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

for someone that is into Lua what would you suggest?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:25 PM

Java, C#, php, python, ruby, etc.

That's all pretty "regardless if they are into language X or not".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

Does your son want to go to college for Computer Science? If so, Java might be a good language to learn, considering it's fairly standard in the first year sequence.

Does the school offer any programming courses? Perhaps AP Computer Science? If so, I'd encourage him to go that route this year. If not, perhaps taking Intro to Java in the fall semester and data structures in the spring semester at the local community college is a good track. That way, he can take advantage of the career center and internship offerings through the community college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Okay lets say he decided to go away from Java because he already told me this what do you think is best? I hear Python is supposingly the easiest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

Okay.. this is a little more helicopter'ing than I care to be a part of. So let's step back. Have you even asked kiddo if he wants an internship?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:30 PM

Python is good. So are the others Modi mentioned.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 July 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

Okay.. this is a little more helicopter'ing than I care to be a part of. So let's step back. Have you even asked kiddo if he wants an internship?

th thing is that he sucks in school to esy for him but not hard and yes I asked hm if he woud like something like this he is not sure so I am a believer and the bible says to train the children in the direction we want them to go. This kid really needs a push because he came to work before wth me when I use to deliver chinese food and use to get excited when I had learn this program or sql on my phone so he needs a littl push :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

He's in high school. A part time job is appropriate. An internship in programming is quite rare. I wouldn't push this on him. It's different to foster interest vs. pushing something on him.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:19 AM

It's not pushing him forcing him to do it, its pushing him because he just lazy and told me its what he wants to do. I support him in his decisions but I will be damn if I let him stop because he is lazy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 24 July 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Does your son want to go to college for Computer Science? If so, Java might be a good language to learn, considering it's fairly standard in the first year sequence.

Does the school offer any programming courses? Perhaps AP Computer Science? If so, I'd encourage him to go that route this year. If not, perhaps taking Intro to Java in the fall semester and data structures in the spring semester at the local community college is a good track. That way, he can take advantage of the career center and internship offerings through the community college.

He goes to Obryant High school for math and science. It is an exam school in Boston and offer cisco networking which he wants to complete however, he might be moving in with me so I am trying to keep him focused for that exact reason. I am going to help him build a portfolio for his future at least we can start there. I was in the military and push that on all my kids and they all said no or the one that wouldn't mind it is and would do it is artistic so that is a disqualifying factor and I use to be a recruiter so yes I know lol :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1