Anyone read/have this book on C++

Windows via C/C++ (Pro - Developer)

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1446 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2007 - 07:58 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Anyone read/have this book on C++

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Has anyone been able to check out Windows via C/C++ (Pro - Developer) book. I was looking at it and it seemed pretty interesting to have for reference and education.

Here is the amazon link. It cost a little bit but all these books cost the same I guess.
http://www.amazon.co...d=1LSUJELGA9GVH

If you have what did you think about it? Also if you have not what do you think would be a better book.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Anyone read/have this book on C++

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Anyone read/have this book on C++

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

I have never seen that book actually, but I have seen the series it is part of. The microsoft press books in that series are typically reference books I find. They are also aimed at seasoned programmers looking for particular answers and I never recommend them to beginners. But if you know the language pretty well, they can, like you said, be great for reference and education.

As for better books, it really depends on your skill level, what you want to do with the language and where you want to go in your programming career. I have taken a close look at that books series though in the bookstores and never quite get the courage to buy it because I just don't think I would use it enough.... thus can't qualify the price to pay for the book.

One book publisher I am finding quite useful and interesting are the Deitel series. They look all cartoonish on the outside, but they are usually thick monsters with TONS of code examples, question/answers, and cover a wide range of the language. After reading one of those, you can then usually dive into microsoft press books no problem.

But I have tons of programming books and love reading all kinds. Some would say I have a programming book fetish. :blink:

Just my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Anyone read/have this book on C++

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

Yeah I just completed my first C++ course (Intro to C++) and next semester I am taking Object. O. C++ next semester. I feel pretty confident I know the basics now and some mid range items.

But I am looking for a book that goose into things that are not taught in class. More like good practices for coding, solving problems, tips/tricks, interesting ways of doing something.

Also mainly looking for something that focus on C++ with windows because that is what I like to program in and for. I uses a lot of Active Directory at work and wanted to make some programs to automate some task that I do all the time. But I have heard VB.net is great for that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1