5 Replies - 823 Views - Last Post: 01 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Having a website for your resume

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

I am back into the job search recently and am going to be making myself a proffesional website to host my resume. I figured it was a logical thing to do seeing as my background is as a web developer. So here are a few questions for you all:

Do you have a website for your resume?

If you are a hiring manager, what do you like, dislike on the site?

Other feedback? Llama's or Cows?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Having a website for your resume

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Having a website for your resume

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:23 PM

I have known designers that had their resume on a site, along with their portfolio. I personally, do not host that kind of thing, outside of LinkedIn. I don't see a site to critique. How are you planning on marketing the hosted resume, being as they will still ask for a current version submitted to them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

I haven't built it yet, but I am looking into doing it this week. The site would be more for code samples, portfolio, etc, as many times I am asked specifically where they can find that stuff
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

Do you have github or bitbucket repos? Contributed to any [open source] projects?
Websites that you've done (imperative that they are live)? A list of how you contributed if you were not the sole person working on the site?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

I suppose if a candidate can show me a site that they've developed, I'm happy, particularly if it serves some need, and this would be a pretty minimally qualifying example of that. So yeah, it's not a bad thing to do. However, it's important to do it well. You don't want to give me a link to something that looks like ass on my machine because I'm using some browser you haven't tested, or something that's throwing me errors in the javascript (yes, I'm going to look) or otherwise shows a lack of due care and attention. This plan also gives you a chance to show off your design ideas, which might or might not be good ones, and those will, by the nature of this enterprise, be the first thing I notice. So don't throw something "creative" at me, keep it conservative and non-flashy. Focus on presenting information clearly and well, not on being clever. (if you want to be clever, you can include "variations" as an option - this is where you should keep your wild ideas)

tl;dr: not a bad idea, but there's some ways you can shoot yourself in the foot so if you're going to do it, you should commit to doing it right.

If you have something more interesting that you're working on, you should certainly put your energy there, and just give me a well-formatted resume as a PDF, which points me to the more interesting thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

Through freelancing I do have websites that I have developed, as well as my freelance company site. Some I like, some I just had to grit my teeth and do what the client wanted even though it was a terrible design idea (but hey I got paid non the less).

If I was to do it, I would definitely keep it clean and simple. Probably have an about me, portfolio, link to download my pdf resume, and maybe a technical blog.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1