Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

22 Replies - 2003 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

#1 Yele   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 08-August 16

Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hello,
I'm researching whether there is a collision between agile and Ethic rules, and if so, should this areas be combined.
I would like to hear your opinion in this issue in a short (15 questions) Survey.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3CWLRVX
Thank you in advance,
Yelena.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

#2 modi123_1   User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14089
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56,440
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

Quote

7. Do you feel that lack of ethics and or integrity in management may have the following effect(s) on the development of a project

What sort of lack of ethics? Like bringing in the candy they steal from babies? Sending all company based toxic waste down to the local bay? Shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 Yele   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 08-August 16

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 August 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Quote

7. Do you feel that lack of ethics and or integrity in management may have the following effect(s) on the development of a project

What sort of lack of ethics? Like bringing in the candy they steal from babies? Sending all company based toxic waste down to the local bay? Shooting a man in Reno, just to watch him die?


More kind of - poor documentation, hardcoded values etc. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14089
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56,440
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

I think 'ethics' is the wrong word then.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 Yele   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 08-August 16

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

I used the word "ethics" in a similar way as it is used here, for example:
https://www.computer...e-of-ethics.pdf
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is offline

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14089
  • View blog
  • Posts: 56,440
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Then use the term 'Code of Ethics and Professional Practice' else you bring up the common man's definition that is a synonym to "morals".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 astonecipher   User is offline

  • Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

Reputation: 2537
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,169
  • Joined: 03-December 12

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

I don't document my code, does that make me morally and ethically bankrupt?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101   User is offline

  • Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon




Reputation: 12314
  • View blog
  • Posts: 45,412
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

That depends- do you have HUGE hands?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Skydiver   User is offline

  • Code herder
  • member icon

Reputation: 6216
  • View blog
  • Posts: 21,452
  • Joined: 05-May 12

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Notice the date of that ACM article: October 1999. It was before the Agile Manifesto which was February 2001.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Skydiver   User is offline

  • Code herder
  • member icon

Reputation: 6216
  • View blog
  • Posts: 21,452
  • Joined: 05-May 12

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

Also, note that use of agile methodologies does not mean the lack of development discipline, documentation, tests, reviews, etc. It simply means that the artifacts that come out of each iteration are leaner and focused on what is needed to accomplish the goals of that iteration. For people following scrum, often a developer will go through the entire software life cycle over the period of the sprint (sometime multiple times) but for a single user story, not an entire product.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky   User is offline

  • Beginner
  • member icon


Reputation: 11067
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18,903
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

Did you have anyone review that survey before you posted it? If not, why not?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 Yele   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 08-August 16

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:12 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 08 August 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

Also, note that use of agile methodologies does not mean the lack of development discipline, documentation, tests, reviews, etc. It simply means that the artifacts that come out of each iteration are leaner and focused on what is needed to accomplish the goals of that iteration. For people following scrum, often a developer will go through the entire software life cycle over the period of the sprint (sometime multiple times) but for a single user story, not an entire product.


Ideally, you're right, but my question is - does agile encourage unethical behavior (work-wise) like cutting on critical documentation in order to release the product on time.

An example quoted from "Principles behind the Agile Manifesto": "Working software is the primary measure of progress."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Yele   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 08-August 16

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 08 August 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

Did you have anyone review that survey before you posted it? If not, why not?


Yes. It was reviewed by a professor Software Engineering and by a language editor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Yele   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 08-August 16

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:26 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 08 August 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

Notice the date of that ACM article: October 1999. It was before the Agile Manifesto which was February 2001.




I sent the artical regarding the "ethics" discussion, and not to the agile aspect of the survey.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Skydiver   User is offline

  • Code herder
  • member icon

Reputation: 6216
  • View blog
  • Posts: 21,452
  • Joined: 05-May 12

Re: Survey : Ethic rules in an agile environment

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:47 AM

View PostYele, on 09 August 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

Ideally, you're right, but my question is - does agile encourage unethical behavior (work-wise) like cutting on critical documentation in order to release the product on time.

An example quoted from "Principles behind the Agile Manifesto": "Working software is the primary measure of progress."

"Critical" from what point of view? From the point of view of a waterfall purist? From the point of view of the client? From the point of view of somebody who needs to interface with the code years from now? From the point of somebody trying to reverse engineer the product?

Recall that the manifesto says "primary", not "only". Consider reading about "spikes" in the Scrum Agile methodology where no (shippable) software is produced during a spike.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2