3 Replies - 908 Views - Last Post: 06 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Entry level management position worth it?

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:53 AM

Hi everyone,

I currently make 50k/yr at a company on 2nd shift working full-time in a manufacturing industry. I am also going to school full-time and will be graduating in August 2017 with a Bachelor's in Computer Science. In my current position I don't do anything relating to my degree I am going for. The hours work for my family at this time.

My question is that I am in the position to have an opportunity to go into a supervisory position at that same company. The downside is that the position is on 3rd shift, and there is not a pay increase to start or very similar to what I am at. I would also be going from hourly to salary and there would be more hours required of me in the new position.

I don't know if this position is something that will benefit me in my Computer Science career once I make that progression next year? My wife and I have talked it over and I am having trouble making a decision. Third shift hours are not ideal and nor is not having an increase in pay. I am just trying to figure out if the experience aspect would be worth it or not with the career change I will be making?

I am looking for advice from people who are actually working in the computer industry to see if this type of job transition would benefit me in my future career or if it is better to just keep doing what I am doing and focus on school until I get my degree?

Thanks for any advice on this subject!

I also forgot to mention with the supervisory position that there are a bit better benefits such as a bigger yearly bonus.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Entry level management position worth it?

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Entry level management position worth it?

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

If the job doesn't give you any upsides, then don't take it.

No, it really wont help you in IT, other than to give you management experience, and that is irrelevant because your first few positions in IT wont be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• palpable absurdity
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

I know you've written a few details but it can be helpful to..

Attached Image

..providing focus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

Supervisor of.. what? Doing.. what? Like in charge of the same people grinding out your current job level? A supervisor of networks? Enforcing the Rules of Acquisitions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1