7 Replies - 837 Views - Last Post: 15 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

What can I do to significantly improve myself before the month ends

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

I have a big interview coming up that I'd like to nail. What can I do in the next 2 weeks to improve. I'll have enough time to read about 1 light book at the pace that I read and I can probably include some other practice as well. The problem is I don't think I can really get much out of a single book. I was considering reading cracking the coding interview but I wasn't sure that would be a good investment.

What would you guys recommend?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What can I do to significantly improve myself before the month ends

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What can I do to significantly improve myself before the month ends

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

Brush up on language fundamentals.. Have questions ready about the company.. Do projects.. Etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

I had a fair amount of niche coursework and experience going into interviews my senior year, which stood out at the CS career fair. Companies were more interested in what I had done than in fizz buzz questions. I suspect you're in the same boat given your interests in logic and theoretical computer science. Given your challenges in the Computer Science forums, you'd probably ace the fizz buzz questions. Those challenges you've posted would make excellent talking points, though. Discuss those problems, various solutions, good vs. better approaches.

Polish your resume, brush up and clean up old projects, and do your homework on the company. Go in well rested, with 2-3 copies of your resume in hand, and dress up in business attire. I think that's the best prep you can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

I agree with that - be the best you that you can be. The reason for an interview is to figure out who you are, and what it's like to work with you - not what books you read lately. Definitely learn what you can about the company, and come with some questions. After all, it's important that you find out who you're going to be working with and what it's like to work on that team.

So I'd suggest you pick the next book on your stack, and dig into that. If you don't have anything good queued up, take a look at Mazes for Programmers, it's kind of fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

What jon said.

I nailed my latest interview. Got an offer I've accepted with a significant pay raise. I'm less skilled of a programmer than they were looking for, but because of the way I presented myself, responded, and the interest I showed - they felt that I was a good fit despite that.

Working as a programmer isn't (just) about knowing library functions off the top of your head or design patterns. Interviewing should be more than a technical screening - you should be discovering if you're interested in the job, just as much as if they're interested in you.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

-Do your research and write down the questions based on the company that you have applied for.
-Do your research for the possible interview questions relevant to the programming language stack that they require and you probably have.
-Work samples.
-do what modi and jon said.

EDIT:

-also be prepared for some logical questions.

This post has been edited by Nitewalkr: 15 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

I should add a few things. I don't actually know what position I am applying for. That is it is a major company and I can do lots of things there depending on what they need. There is o specific language stack that I would need to prepare for.

I like the advice to ask questions about what they do. I actually know a lot about the company but I will always have more questions. Also showing interest sounds like a good idea. I'm not super concerned about solving interview questions anyhow as I'm fairly good at that.

Thanks guys! I'll probably focus more on the non-technical side as that's a very consistent theme of your guys' advice and something I hadn't thought about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

Yeah, you'll be fine. Just think of it as the phase of dating where you're trying to figure out whether the other person is actually as cool as your hormones are telling you they are, or if they're secretly crazy complicated.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1