5 Replies - 2062 Views - Last Post: 13 January 2008 - 07:56 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

which version?

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:37 AM

hey guys

i am just in the process of installing cold fusion on my machine. I`ve got to the point where I have to choose which version I`ll be using for my web development.

I got my copy of Cold fusion off a dodgy website, so dont think that it is valid.
anyway, they claim that the developer version is highly restricted and allows developers to use it twice???? Does that mean that I can develop two websites and that is it ?

How on earth can they find out how many times I`ve used Cold fusion??

when uploading my files onto a webhosting that supports Cold Fusion, am i expected to give out personal details or something??

Please somebody tell me how it works and how the developer edition is going to affect my ability to create and deploy coldfusion based sites..

Cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: which version?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: which version?

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:12 AM

View Postskodateam, on 18 Dec, 2007 - 03:37 AM, said:

they claim that the developer version is highly restricted and allows developers to use it twice???? Does that mean that I can develop two websites and that is it ?

I don't think they explained themselves well. You can download the ColdFusion a trial or the developer edition directly from adobe.com. The developer edition is free and works forever. To quote the source

ColdFusion 8 Developer is a free, fully functional version of ColdFusion for local development of applications that will be deployed on either Standard or Enterprise servers. In addition to localhost, applications running on a Developer Edition server can be accessed from two remote IP addresses, making team development even easier.

They restrict the number of IP addresses for obvious reasons: so people don't use the server commercially without paying for it. But you can certainly use the developer edition as many times and however you want on your local computer.

As far as deployment, licensing and web hosting that is a separate issue. I've never dealt with that side of things, so I can't offer advice there.

Here is the source of that quote
http://www.adobe.com...usion/editions/

This post has been edited by sansclue: 18 December 2007 - 04:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:20 AM

View Postsansclue, on 18 Dec, 2007 - 04:12 AM, said:

View Postskodateam, on 18 Dec, 2007 - 03:37 AM, said:

they claim that the developer version is highly restricted and allows developers to use it twice???? Does that mean that I can develop two websites and that is it ?

I don't think they explained themselves well. You can download the ColdFusion a trial or the developer edition directly from adobe.com. The developer edition is free and works forever. To quote the source

ColdFusion 8 Developer is a free, fully functional version of ColdFusion for local development of applications that will be deployed on either Standard or Enterprise servers. In addition to localhost, applications running on a Developer Edition server can be accessed from two remote IP addresses, making team development even easier.

They restrict the number of IP addresses for obvious reasons: so people don't use the server commercially without paying for it. But you can certainly use the developer edition as many times and however you want on your local computer.

As far as deployment, licensing and web hosting that is a separate issue. I've never dealt with that side of things, so I can't offer advice there.

Here is the source of that quote
http://www.adobe.com...usion/editions/

yes, I`ve checked it out as it is. It does not actually say what happens when you transfer your files onto a webhosting.
Shall i crack it ?
Can they track me down?

i mean, i dont see any point in playing around with Cold Fusion on my pc if i cant use it online!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:46 AM

You are allowed to use CF however you wish locally. I really can't help you with webhosting / licensing side of things. Anything I have to say in that area would just be guessing. I am certain someone here must know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

You should have no problem developing sites using the Developer version. You would just install it on your local machine and when you are ready to make the site live, set up a hosting account with a web host that provides ColdFusion. Aside from uploading the files you developed locally, the only other step is to go into the hosting accounts admin section and create a datasource using the same name you used in your local version of ColdFusion. I would set up the datasource in the ColdFusion section on the web host before uploading the files so after you complete the upload, you can immediately view the files on the site and any database functionality will work on the site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

You should also know that Adobe isn't the only CFML server product out there. BlueDragon and Railo are two alternative platforms that come to mind that may offer less restrictive developer settings than Adobe.

Personally I've used both CF and BlueDragon and like them both equally. I haven't yet messed with Railo but I've heard good things about that as well (including how it blows away both CF and BlueDragon speed-wise).

Just a FYI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1