9 Replies - 1231 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Free IDE's for commercial program/software

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

Hello! It's been awhile. Been debating with myself if this is the right forum for this question.
I've been browsing through some IDE's lately and I've been wondering which ones can I use to develop programs and sell it afterwards.
Is there a list of legal things a developer needs to keep in mind when using free and open sourced software such as IntelliJ, Netbeans, Eclipse, Visual Basic or others of such?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Free IDE's for commercial program/software

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Free IDE's for commercial program/software

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

Netbeans, Eclipse, Visual Basic

Those you can. You can typically find their FAQ info on that when searching "can i sell software made with <x>".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

Thank you for the answer! And I went looking for IntelliJ(Community Edition) too. It's says it is also encouraged.
I'm also wondering on how to understand more about licenses. So far, I've gathered, if one should release a program commercially, one needs to check the faqs of the tools used to create the program whether it is permitted to sell the program developed using the tool. And I'm thinking that is also the same for what language the program is written in whether it is ok to use that language to write the program then sell it.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

I haven't hears of a language license like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

Some tools offer sliding-scale price models whereby the product is free or very inexpensive for small companies or a small number of users, and goes up in price as the company scales up. These are restrictions on usage, not on what you can do with the finished product. I don't know of any licensing that attempts to restrict what you can do with the code produced using some product, nor can I think of any way that would be enforced.

There was a misconception a few years ago about software released under the GPL, which said that you couldn't use it to develop commercial software. That was nonsense, of course, and it's a little disappointing that this sort of thing is still going around. Free means free: free software is free to use, alter, and distribute. The only thing you're not allowed to do is to prevent others from exercising the freedoms that you were granted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:07 AM

You can't release anything using student license most of the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 xclite   User is online

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

Here's an example:
https://cursive-ide.com/buy.html

I use Cursive plugin in IntelliJ for most of my Clojure work because I want the Java interop. Now that my justification for not using emacs is out there...

I use the community license because most of my stuff is experimental or open source. However, if I ever build something that I intend to sell, I'm supposed to buy the personal license.

A lot of tooling works like this as well. For example, the Genymotion Android emulator is free for personal use, but if you're using it on a commercial product, you're supposed to pay for it. I think in a lot of cases, people just don't upgrade (or perhaps even forget (see Sublime Text, for example)). If I ever build something commercial with Clojure, I'll definitely buy the commercial license (and in fact I've thought about doing so to support the developers anyway).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

Thank you for all the answers! I think I understand it a bit now. If I use something that specifically says something around "if the intention to sell, buy the license" that basically means I should buy the license for that thing and if it says "free to use and free distribute whether commercially or not", I'm allowed to use it and whether to distribute it for free or with price.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

Pretty much. Reading the license will usually clear things up pretty well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

I'll need to go find it again, but I believe that there is a license out there that says it's pretty much free for use, as long as you don't use it for anything nuclear related.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1