• « First

1227 Replies - 52332 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

#1216 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Election blather

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:05 AM

Yes. Just like the first year when people were distracted by something or another (ex. covfefe) while there were big policy or personnel changes happening in the background.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:11 AM

4d chess, baby!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

I think you guys give him too much credit. He's the Joker in The Dark Knight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

Sans the self-awareness.

EDIT: If anyting, I think Trump is what the Dark Knight Joker described himself to be. The Joker did have a plan, he did have objectives - he was working toward his vision (systematically dismantling order to achieve disorder). Trump, on the other hand, truly is an agent of chaos in that he doesn't have a plan, he does whatever pops into his head (or is sold to him by Fox news) without any goal outside of the nebulous "I win", the rules of which he defines as whatever is happening around him currently.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 08 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1220 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:16 PM

I don't know about giving Trump any credit, but I do find it remarkable that he's managed to roll us back to basically the early 90s on both Iran and North Korea, and that the public reaction has been basically "Ha ha ha he said a dumb". (insert emojis and memes to taste)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

i think the problem is like many dementia people-- he has reverted back to a time that he remembers and is mentally stuck there.. or is just a big asshole
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1222 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:54 PM

Ronald Reagan was deep in the midst of dementia but seemed to be doing much better than this child.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#1223 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:06 PM

That's what always got me about the whole "I don't recall" business - it was almost certainly true, but they had to pretend it was a lie to cover for his disintegrating brain.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

So AG Barr consulted with career ethics officials.

That's it, that's the joke.

https://www.bloomber...jeffrey-epstein
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:26 PM

This is really well done:

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:03 AM

Well, if you could find any single human to blame for the balance of broken democracy in the US, Mitch would reasonably be at the top of the list. His detractors enjoy likening him to a turtle, but instead, sadly, he has been a very efficient snake. Breaking laws, inventing nonexistent laws, and then completely reversing both guilelessly to suit his duplicitous aims.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#1227 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

Bless this candidate, bless this campaign.
And by "bless" I mean "give some money to".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#1228 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

This from Robert Kuttner of The American Prospect is worth a read:

Barr Throws Trump Under the Bus.

You might have missed it, but the most important moment at Trump’s Thursday joint press conference with Attorney General William Barr was the one where Barr committed Trump to obeying the Supreme Court.

By making an explicit commitment to obey the courts and the rule of law, Barr has boxed in his president. Trump, at various points, has suggested that he might defy or circumvent the courts. But Barr this time left no wiggle room.

In discussing how the administration was dropping its efforts to add a citizenship question, because there was no time to pursue appeals and still comply with the constitutional census deadline and high court ruling, Barr said this (read it slowly and carefully):

Some in the media have been suggesting in the hysterical mode of the day that the administration has been planning to add the citizenship question to the Census by exec fiat without regard to contrary court orders or what the Supreme Court might say. This has been based on rank speculation. As should be obvious, this has never been under consideration. We have always accepted that any new decision to add a citizenship question to the census would be subject to judicial review.

That was, to put it mildly, BS. In fact, Trump has repeatedly threatened to defy the courts, most recently when he abruptly changed the game plan on the Justice Department’s efforts to follow the Supreme Court’s census ruling.

What is Barr up to? He has been a total sleaze in his efforts to marginalize Robert Mueller and support other extravagant Trump claims of unlimited executive power.

But even Barr, evidently, has his limits. The commitment to obey the courts, sandwiched in between layers of craven flattery, was a message directed squarely at Donald Trump.

Over the past six months, Trump has managed to get rid of minders in favor of enablers. He has also built a record of unceremoniously dumping one official after another when they no longer served his interests (see Acosta, Alex).

But Barr is one of the few officials who would be very hard to dump, because he has been so deft at defending outrageous policies while seeming reasonable. But Barr draws the line at directly flouting the Supreme Court.

So yesterday’s victory was doubly sweet. Not only did Trump cave on the census citizenship question, but his attorney general declared unambiguously that the White House would not defy the courts. In the Trump era, that passes for a win for the rule of law.

Let’s be clear. I don’t trust Barr (or Trump) as far as I can throw them, nor should you. But yesterday’s declaration makes it just a little harder for Trump to pretend that he is above the law—and adds one more potent impeachment count should he go back on Barr’s pledge.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (82 Pages)
  • +
  • « First