4 Replies - 1197 Views - Last Post: 23 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which language for pentesting and security?

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

Having landed a IT job I am trying to learn a language or two. For someone who works in a pentesting related job what language would be best to begin with?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which language for pentesting and security?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which language for pentesting and security?

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:09 PM

Scripting languages. Ruby, python.. etc. I want to say metasploit is still ruby.

Bash, powershell, etc.. Pentesting is an awful lot of tool based knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

As noted above, unless you are creating brand new pen tools, you'll be doing a lot of scripting so the scripting languages will be your bread and butter. For brand new tools, you'll typically need languages that have fast easy access to networking and OS APIs and so C/C++ tend to be the preferred language.

Working in C/C++, you'll also likely want to do "unreasonable" stuff like breaking type safety and/or directly manipulating data structures or network packets in memory. Unless you want to use a lot of C-style casts, or do a lot at constantly typing reinterpret_cast<>(), or want to rely on potential undefined behavior of reading unions one way and writing to them another way, you'll likely lean more towards the C side of the house instead of the C++ side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

View Postkeat, on 30 November 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Having landed a IT job I am trying to learn a language or two. For someone who works in a pentesting related job what language would be best to begin with?

Try reading up on Kali Linux...Its not a language but rather an os with built-in pentesting tools. :walkman:

View PostTKXP, on 23 December 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

View Postkeat, on 30 November 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Try reading up on Kali Linux...Its not a language but rather an os with built-in pentesting tools. :walkman:/>

Throw the OS on a thumb-drive and you will have pentesting on the go. :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

Until an infected machine goes and infects the files on the thumb drive... Then you have an even better pen testing tool. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1