6 Replies - 917 Views - Last Post: 15 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which projects to list as I'm updating my resume

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:11 PM

Due to limitation on space, I was wondering which of these I should leave out or include:

- shell simulation: implemented unix shell capable of executing commands and handle foreground/background processes
- vernam cipher: implemented as daemon in a client server architecture
- management system: basic admin dashboard application using Grails 3, mariaDB, ajax and jquery
- crime mapper: implemented with node.js and express.js; generates geoJSON data and uses Mapbox api and mongoDB

Also, should I put dates on them and label which one was a class project? I will probably have more project as it's winter break now and once Winter quarter starts.

thanks!

This post has been edited by harro.rm: 12 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which projects to list as I'm updating my resume

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which projects to list as I'm updating my resume

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:23 PM

Why not have them out on github, or a personal site, and direct folk to look at them all?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

I do have them on github - in fact all of my school projects. But don't most students list some projects on their resume? I was wondering which are the best ones to list - like how do you choose?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

Hells bells - I haven't seen the actual projects to know quality or not from the blurb. You may have to think critically about them to figure which best represent your skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

If they are class projects then <honestly> they don't resemble anything in the real-world anyway. You can list them all since nobody has high expectations of students. They should look like every other student's versions of the same assignments.

If you want to set yourself apart you need to do something the other 150,000 students haven't done in the last 4 years.

What have you made on your own? Any hobbyist projects? If you are into weather did you make a backyard weather station with connecting mobile phone app? If you are into hiking did you make a program to track your hikes? Did you make a program to help your kid's scout troup track merit badges? Something for your sister's at-home jewelery making side-line. Whatever... Can you show an employer what *YOU* have to offer apart from the assignment sheet everyone else got?

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 13 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 December 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Hells bells - I haven't seen the actual projects to know quality or not from the blurb. You may have to think critically about them to figure which best represent your skills.

Well which ones makes you want to ask me more about? Should I list them so each touch a different technology to show I'm flexible etc?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Just speaking from previous experience, unless you are doing a project that is specifically related to their field, it's likely they are not going to take the time to look. I would put a blurb about my github with my college & hobby stuff, & focus on their needs for the job, not showing off my previous accomplishments.

If you show off a unix shell, for a web development job, you are talking way over their head & out of their league. This screams "I need to eat today, & your opportunity will get me through until I find something better tomorrow".

If you show off a project with nodeJS & mongoDB, & they want to you to redesign their current project in php/MySql, it's likely they are not even going to both reading it, & you're that much closer to presenting yourself as unqualified for the position.

The only time I've had an interviewer go line by line through my code is when it was related to their development lab & toolset. In other cases, admin positions don't understand why I have coding projects, & think I'll get board with admin duties & pass for another candidate.

Leave it for those that want to see it, but don't try to impress for those that don't find it relevant.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1