Opens my documents

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1387 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2007 - 07:01 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Explorer.exe wont work

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

Well I got Gears Of War and was so excited at about 2PM. Tried to install it and after the 20 minutes it took to decompress the files and all, i was ready to play. Loaded it up and got an error. I googled it, said to install windows live for the xlive.dll Got that done and it wasnt anything harmful. Started it up again and said i needed to update the drivers on my graphics card(the machine im using i built about a month ago and had the drivers up to date then). Did that. Started it(yet again) and now its telling me i need to restart the computer. Restarted it and tried once more. Now its saying i need SP2, so I go to the update thing on microsoft and did everything it told me. I needed to yet again restart. Started up GoW and it said i needed to get SP2. So i was pissed at this point. Went to microsofts site and found out that you have to do something separate from what they tell you to get the SP2 and not just security updates. Downloaded that and it took a while to finally finish. at this point im guessing it was around 4:30-5. I start up my system and am all excited to play and voila! no taskbar or desktop. Open up taskmanager and find out that explorer2.exe isnt running(i use a modded version :D ). So i thought to myself "I have been wanting to play this game, I will fix this problem later. Hop on the game and start playing. about 2-3 hours later, I decide to quit because the beserker sucks and i died. I save and quit and everything. Now here comes the challenge. I go to run a new task from task manager and find explorer2.exe in the windows folder, so it hasnt been moved, i wonder why it didnt start? Well i tried running it and it is coming up by showing me the My Documents folder. No taskbar or desktop. So right now im kinda pissed because that doesnt help me. So i figured "Well i dont really need my start button to say my name for now" and I try explorer.exe. Same problem. Im at a dead end here. I have an external hard drive I could copy my programs to and just reformat. but where is the fun in that. I was wondering if any of you had any idea what the hell is going on.

P.S its like 9:30 now and for some reason I cant start AIM but i can access the internet. IDK y, but Opera works but AIM just wont even start.

This post has been edited by ferrari12508: 27 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Explorer.exe wont work

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Explorer.exe wont work

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

Shit thats an interesting predicament lol. When things get fucked over that bad, I would format, but because you want to do it the fun way, you could try backing up the important stuff then attempting a System Restore at a previous date. Hopefully that will fix the issue and you will still have a functional computer.

If you were successfully able to restore the computer, I'd suggest removing that explorer mod just to be sure, retrying SP2 and then eventually the GFX drivers etc, then installing the game. If all else fails, result to repetitive beating with a hammer, its about the same amount of fun as Gears of War, because your breaking things. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

Posted Image
"That's What She SAID!!"

This post has been edited by ferrari12508: 27 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

Before you format, I have found success with using the repair utility.

Boot off your Windows cd, & select r for repair. It should be on the main menu. You will need the disc that corresponds with your version of windows (Professional/Home).

If that doesn't work, you should be able to simply reinstall the version of windows, & try your updates again. This will simply over-right the OS & not require you to format.

However, if both of those do not work, I too, would format at that point.

Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:01 AM

Ha it sounds like Gear of war gave you the run around. Not surprised it wanted you to install SP2 because basically all games these days require it on XP systems. I take it you are not a SP2 fan?

Second when you updated to SP2 it probably was thrown off because it found a second program of explorer when know it was named differently. It still will register the same and windows see its as another explorer process. So that probably caused all your current issues.

Best suggest is first uninstall gears of war and your custom explorer app. Try and last know good configuration but if that dose not work go with what no2pencil said. Do a windows repair which will reinstall the base files but keep most of your registry and applications intact. Really you just want to reinstall the explorer process but that can be only done threw the repair feature since explorer is not just a file its a whole service. Sp2 should stay updated on the system after the repair but its possible you will have to re update it. Once you do all the updates and update your drivers then reinstall gears of war and once confirmed working then install your custom explorer app.

Also the reason Opera works but not AIM is due to AIM being a explorer integrated process. AIM has some intergeneration with explorer for its interface and features it uses. Opera is a web browser that is build from the ground up and dose not uses the explorer process such as AIM dose. If you install Firefox on your system it would work just like Opera because they do not uses the explorer service.

This post has been edited by lockdown: 28 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1