7 Replies - 976 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Troubles installing PHPmyadmin on Ubuntu

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:49 AM

So, I think I've managed to install PHP and mysql and apache and stuff on to Ubuntu (a simple php file works, so that's good). Now I wanted to get phpmyadmin so I tried to install that, but for some reason it's not working.

I've gone here and done exactly what it says. I didn't know what it meant by hostname, so I found this and used that info, but I get a 404 page when I type the address into the browser.

Additionally, this is what I got when I tried to install it:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
phpmyadmin is already the newest version (4:4.5.4.1-2ubuntu2).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  liblua5.1-0 linux-headers-4.4.0-72 linux-headers-4.4.0-72-generic
  linux-image-4.4.0-72-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-72-generic
  linux-signed-image-4.4.0-72-generic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 365 not to upgrade.

Disclaimer: Ubuntu tends to give me a headache due to stuff like this so please forgive me any rants I may type as a result.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Troubles installing PHPmyadmin on Ubuntu

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Troubles installing PHPmyadmin on Ubuntu

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:39 AM

If you are installing all this on your local computer as part of a development environment, usually you can put something like "localhost" as your hostname. So when you get to the part where it says visit the page you can type http://localhost/phpmyadmin

So give that part a try and see if you see the login screen at least. If you then login with root and hit an error from there, then you know your configuration to your mysql server is not properly set up. Make sure that apache is also running before you attempt to browse to phpmyadmin. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

Yea, in this situation, you would always use "localhost" as the hostname. - That's true for all PHP websites that run on a traditional LAMP server. It's important to keep in mind that phpMyAdmin is just a PHP website, not another piece of software that needs to be "installed" like a server.

Personally I don't like installing stuff like phpMyAdmin through the package managers. As far as I am concerned, it just confuses the issue. But that's just me. I can't help seeing it as just another website, and having it tied up in the package manager just makes it more complicated to deal with. (Distro specific differences in config locations and whatnot.)

But, then, I don't really use phpMyAdmin anymore. Desktop apps like MySQL Workbench or HeidiSQL are far more convenient, especially if the MySQL server is running on the same machine you work on. No need to set those up as websites or server components; they're just normal desktop apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 21 May 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

If you are installing all this on your local computer as part of a development environment, usually you can put something like "localhost" as your hostname. So when you get to the part where it says visit the page you can type http://localhost/phpmyadmin

So give that part a try and see if you see the login screen at least. If you then login with root and hit an error from there, then you know your configuration to your mysql server is not properly set up. Make sure that apache is also running before you attempt to browse to phpmyadmin. :)/>

Thanks, but it's not working. How do I make sure Apache is running?

P.S. Assume I know nothing. My experience with PHP has been with using MAMP on OSX which had a nice little green or red light to tell you when something was working or not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

httpd status

Examples:

http://mixeduperic.c...-on-centos.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:09 AM

On Ubuntu (and other Debian variants) you'd do this to check the status of Apache:
$ sudo service apache2 status

Or simply open up a browser and go to "http://localhost" (assuming the Apache server is on the same machine the browser is running.) By default, until you replace the default website, it'll just show you: "It's working!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 ndc85430   User is online

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

You know that if the server is running, it is listening for connections on a port: usually port 80 for HTTP and usually TCP connections. Therefore another way of stating your question is, "is there a process listening for TCP connections on port 80?" and you can use the netstat command to answer that question. It is left as an exercise for you to accomplish this :).

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 28 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

** Moved to webservers & hosting **
Was This Post Helpful? 0