14 Replies - 2845 Views - Last Post: 20 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question about pricing medical charting software?

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

I have a question. First, let me explain. I wrote software for someone's business. They want to pay me money for the program they wrote. They asked me how much but I am unsure how to give an accurate price quote. So, I am asking your opinion on here. The program is designed for caregivers. It was written in Visual Basic and I spent 6 months on it. It is my first major program I wrote. It is a medical charting program customized for their business. Due to the business' privacy I cannot go into detail on how it functions. So, my question is, how much do you think is a fair price for a medical charting program that took 6 months to develop that is customized for a business? Any info is great. Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about pricing medical charting software?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question about pricing medical charting software?

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

How many hours did you put into it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

I put about 300 hours into it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

You hadn't worked out pay before you started or were getting payment while it was happening? Bold move Cotton.

$2175 - $6000.91.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

> They want to pay me money for the program they wrote.
That doesn't make sense. Did they write it or did you?

Let's also assume that what you are saying is that they want to buy THE SOURCE CODE and intellectual property rights for the program you wrote.
As apposed to the original deal of them getting a compiled app they can run.

There is a big difference in them buying the compiled app to install, and the source code.

If you own the source code, you can continue to develop more apps based on the code, custumize different versions for different customer needs and so on. So that source code has the potential to be more than one sale. If they want to buy the source code, they probably also want to have you in a non-compete ... you loose the rights to any part of that code or you are then plagorizing their ownership, meaning you can't use your own file writing routines and so on.

> It was written in Visual Basic
Well... My guess is they want to take some of the parts they like and modernize it 25 years into a C# mobile app

You don't really intend on continuing to write software in Visual Basic anyway, right? So if you can make some money off that why not. Its not like you would reuse and of that code anyway, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

View PostBenBH, on 19 October 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

Due to the business' privacy I cannot go into detail on how it functions.

Why is this at all relevant to how much to charge?

Why wasn't this posted under freelancing? (moved to freelancing)

How on earth do you start a project without a contract?

Most importantly, how is a medical company running software developed without you (or your business) being subject to an i9? I can see an entry freelancer skipping some common sense steps, but I can't get past how a legit company does the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 October 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

View PostBenBH, on 19 October 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

Due to the business' privacy I cannot go into detail on how it functions.

Why is this at all relevant to how much to charge?

Why wasn't this posted under freelancing? (moved to freelancing)

How on earth do you start a project without a contract?

Most importantly, how is a medial company running software developed without you (or your business) being subject to an i9? I can see an entry freelancer skipping some common sense steps, but I can't get past how a legit company does the same.

Okay. I came here for a question asking for help on a price for something not to be criticized (at least that is how I feel some of the replies are coming across as). Please just delete this post. I am not trying to be rude. Just delete this post. Thank you.
Sorry. I misread the comments. Thank you for your help.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 21 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Less about criticism... More about trying to grasp WTF you're talking about and what exactly you did for the client... and what they want.

You said you made the software.
Then the next sentence is they made it.
First you said 6 months. Then you say 300 hrs. which is isn't even 8 weeks.

There is no explanation about what the original contract agreement was for. And no explanation about what it is they now mean by "buy the software"?

So quit playing like we're beating up on you - If you're grown up enough to be charging for your work be grown-up enough to be talked to like an adult.

The people here are just trying to grasp what it is you did, are asked of, and for enough details to lend some advice. You came to them for help - not the other way around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 October 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

Less about criticism... More about trying to grasp WTF you're talking about and what exactly you did for the client... and what they want.

You said you made the software.
Then the next sentence is they made it.
First you said 6 months. Then you say 300 hrs. which is isn't even 8 weeks.

There is no explanation about what the original contract agreement was for. And no explanation about what it is they now mean by "buy the software"?

So quit playing like we're beating up on you - If you're grown up enough to be charging for your work be grown-up enough to be talked to like an adult.

The people here are just trying to grasp what it is you did, are asked of, and for enough details to lend some advice. You came to them for help - not the other way around.

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry. There was no contract. I was doing it for a friend's business. I should have mentioned that part. They wanted to know how much, if they wanted to pay, how much the software would cost. Again I should have mentioned that. I am very sorry. Essentially, I did it for free. But they wanted to pay something.

This post has been edited by BenBH: 20 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 October 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

> They want to pay me money for the program they wrote.
That doesn't make sense. Did they write it or did you?

Let's also assume that what you are saying is that they want to buy THE SOURCE CODE and intellectual property rights for the program you wrote.
As apposed to the original deal of them getting a compiled app they can run.

There is a big difference in them buying the compiled app to install, and the source code.

If you own the source code, you can continue to develop more apps based on the code, custumize different versions for different customer needs and so on. So that source code has the potential to be more than one sale. If they want to buy the source code, they probably also want to have you in a non-compete ... you loose the rights to any part of that code or you are then plagorizing their ownership, meaning you can't use your own file writing routines and so on.

> It was written in Visual Basic
Well... My guess is they want to take some of the parts they like and modernize it 25 years into a C# mobile app

You don't really intend on continuing to write software in Visual Basic anyway, right? So if you can make some money off that why not. Its not like you would reuse and of that code anyway, right?

Originally, I wrote it in C#. However, since the program deals with Microsoft Excel I used VB.NET cause of the ease of use with working with Excel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

300 hours in 6 months ? if you were working 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 6 months that would be around 960 hours

What were you doing in the remaining 660 hours..

Put it another way you spent 2.5 hours writing this program 5 days a week....
or if you spent 11 hours one day a week it would take you six months...

Your work ethic sucks I'm up working until 2am some days putting in 18 hour days and sh*t....

I am still unclear on why they want to pay you I mean Visual Basic... Basic Jesus....

As another mentioned switch to C#.. you can do more with it....

After all they now have the program and why should they pay you ? it took you six months where you worked 2.5 hrs a day 5 days a week if you had put in 8 hours a day it would have been done inside two months...

Unless the business owner is your uncle or other relative.... that is

But I would say for a custom business program your looking at $2000-$3000 dollars and it should have taken you two months sounds about right..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Really Snoopy? We just got past beating the guy up and you come out with "your work ethic sucks" ? - Really?

> since the program deals with Microsoft Excel I used VB.NET cause of the ease of use with working with Excel.
Next time you might consider just importing the VB namespace so you can use some of those conveniences without having to leave C#. Mostly anything in one namespace is available in the other.. but there are some exceptions. For example getting the keyboards and the displays - If memory serves me right from my WinForms days there were a few VB calls there that didn't exist in C# and made things easier.

2 man-months of work over 6 calendar-months. Okay, that clears it up. It was a part-time gig you did on the weekends, just like every other developer does for spare cash under the table. I base my rate on 100k/year. After all the client doesn't have to pay your social security, taxes, vacation time, etc. As a freelancer you have to take all that into consideration when working out your prices. They would normally pay 80-100k in wages for an employee that is both architect and developer, PLUS all the overhead of having an employee, PLUS they would furnish the hardware and software you develop with. If they can pay you at *just* 100k they are saving money.

You worked 1/6th of a year. 1/6 of 100k is $16.67k. If you want to sell your code for 2-3k lets call that $1500/month or $18k/year. If you're good with burger-flipper wages for your spare-time money that's your call. But I wouldn't take it. The other way to look at that is $3000 for 300 hours is $10/hour. Go work Starbucks for less headaches and free coffee.

On the other hand... A VB.NET app really is nothing you'd every use again, or code you'd never re-use. Its throw away code. If you can get $3k as a one-time software garage sale it makes a nice cruise for you and your wife. Just be sure the client understands that it was a one-time introductory price for your services, and that you are not doing more work at that rate, nor are you maintaining that code. They bought it: Its their headache now.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 20 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. My question has been answered :) Sorry for any confusion etc...Thanks everyone!

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 20 October 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

Really Snoopy? We just got past beating the guy up and you come out with "your work ethic sucks" ? - Really?

> since the program deals with Microsoft Excel I used VB.NET cause of the ease of use with working with Excel.
Next time you might consider just importing the VB namespace so you can use some of those conveniences without having to leave C#. Mostly anything in one namespace is available in the other.. but there are some exceptions. For example getting the keyboards and the displays - If memory serves me right from my WinForms days there were a few VB calls there that didn't exist in C# and made things easier.

2 man-months of work over 6 calendar-months. Okay, that clears it up. It was a part-time gig you did on the weekends, just like every other developer does for spare cash under the table. I base my rate on 100k/year. After all the client doesn't have to pay your social security, taxes, vacation time, etc. As a freelancer you have to take all that into consideration when working out your prices. They would normally pay 80-100k in wages for an employee that is both architect and developer, PLUS all the overhead of having an employee, PLUS they would furnish the hardware and software you develop with. If they can pay you at *just* 100k they are saving money.

You worked 1/6th of a year. 1/6 of 100k is $16.67k. If you want to sell your code for 2-3k lets call that $1500/month or $18k/year. If you're good with burger-flipper wages for your spare-time money that's your call. But I wouldn't take it. The other way to look at that is $3k is $10/hour. Go work Starbucks for less headaches and free coffee.

On the other hand... A VB.NET app really is nothing you'd every use again, or code you'd never re-use. Its throw away code. If you can get $3k as a one-time software garage sale it makes a nice cruise for you and your wife. Just be sure the client understands that it was a one-time introductory price for your services, and that you are not doing more work at that rate, nor are you maintaining that code. They bought it: Its their headache now.

I really would've loved to use C# for the development considering it is one of my favorite languages. I found that using Excel programming was easier. VB.NET is not my favorite go-to for coding. I did this project as a side project so I did not spend too much time on it everyday. :) Again thanks for everyone's help! Really appreciate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Custom Control Freak
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

As another mentioned switch to C#.. you can do more with it....

Not arguing with you but, that is a bit of your C# bias. I have not found anything in C# that i can not do in VB.Net. Some things are done a little different in either language as expected but, the CLR doesn't care a bit about the language that the source code is written in, it still compiles to the same thing. It boils down to a personal preference of the programming environment. However, it is true that C# is used in most professional environments. 8)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Yeah I agree with most of that and I agree it was a part time gig but I would not only offer to maintain the code which is likely to need maintaining I would also charge a very high price for that and make more than the $3000 it took to develop it I would also offer software support at $600 a week and if it takes less than a week so what the price for software support I would charge on a weekly basis and draw up some powerpoints and hold meetings at the business owners address and each time he/she gets a new employee that needs trained $600 a week bam ! ka-ching!

And I would never beat up an OP dear klingon... I love OP's just pointing out a few oddities...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1