4 Replies - 451 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Windows 10 Woes

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop that I barely use because I hate Windows 10 so much. I bought it because my Windows 7 computer is falling apart and I'm going to have to switch over soon. Mostly the new computer sits in the box it came in, because I find it so hard to use.

Perhaps someone knows how to fix these problems?

1. When I use the browser (Chrome), Windows Write or Paint (whatever they're called), the thing keeps resizing my screen. I have it set to normal, but it'll take it down to say 67%, up to 110%, even up to 500%. This happens when I use the touchpad, which is wretchedly hard to use. I can't find any setting to tell it not to resize at all. Is there one?

2. I had deleted a bunch of stuff from the tile part of the Start screen, the Start apps list and the taskbar. I'd been refusing updates (disconnecting from the Internet before powering off, because it I don't, it doesn't give me the option to shut down without updating). But tonight I decided to allow it to update. The update took almost an hour to complete (seriously???? What are they doing, reading all my files?)and when it was done, I had crap back on the taskbar and Start tiles that I'd previously removed, like Mail and Windows Store (or MS Store, whatever it is).
a. And now right-clicking to open a context menu doesn't have an option to delete the crap from the taskbar and
b. I can't right-click to delete the tiles at all.

3. Why does the battery always lose charge when I shut it all the way down and only ever use it plugged in? I can't even find the d*mn thing to yank it out.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Windows 10 Woes

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 10 Woes

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:28 AM

Your hate for windows 10 is from what? A "where is my cheese" concept or just anti MS?

Preface with I have used, installed, and operated Win10 on a variety of laptops, desktops, with little to no issue.

RE: #1 - What way is your use of a web browser - Chrome - interacting with Paint or Notepad? Is this an issue with a 'gesture' thing, or just a 'click and go 'thing? Have you updated device specific drivers?

RE #2 - Refusing updates is not the general way to go for a home user. This is to close the gap where the myriad of win os users were being vulnerable to attacks that were patched months before. Updates are now cumulative - like iOS - and if you get too far behind it causes a problem. If you got the Creator update that dropped recently I can only guess the update took so long to get the other updates needed for it.

Yes - the taskbar crap is back if removed before.. certainly an annoyance.

2a - can you unpin? Which apps?
2b - Tiles are, essentially, short cuts plus-plus. Same questions from 2a.

RE #3 - battery charge may be a faulty one and should be directed at the manufacturer. It's highly unlikely a shut down laptop is being affected by an OS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

1. I wasn't saying that the browser was interacting with other apps. I was giving examples of apps where my screen gets resized on the fly and asking how to stop it. The browser is one of those apps.

2. I had been able to unpin. Now I can't. Right-clicking no longer brings up a context menu, and I can't find any other way to do it.

3. I'm hoping the thing has a year's warranty. The year is almost up, but if there's a chance the battery problem is hardware-related, I'll gladly take it in to have it checked.

This post has been edited by Siena1383: 23 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

#1 F11 is generally a hotkey for FullScreen. Perhaps try this to un-full-screen the application.

But tonight I decided to allow it to update. The update took almost an hour to complete

#2 Well how long did you put off doing updates? It probably a lot (if not all) of them to do.
I don't know anything about the tile interface I'm sorry.

#3 Batteries have a life. If it's really a pain, & draining overnight, after powering the laptop off, remove the battery completely. I have never seen a laptop that wouldn't run off just power with the battery removed, so that could be an option as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

RE#1 - Is your screen on a wonky resolution? Have you updated any videocard specific drivers? I haven't heard, or am able to replicate, that issue.

RE #2 - Unpin from the 'important app start' side thing, or from the vertical 'app list'? After the creator's update my start menu stayed the same and kept the same functionality.

RE #3 - I would have the battery tested/swapped out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1