10 Replies - 1587 Views - Last Post: 21 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

proccessor or ssd to make Computer faster

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

I have pentium g4560 in my PC and I am wondering to upgrade i7 7700. Will it increase speed of my computer I have 1tb HDD ? What do you think is better ssd or i7 7700??To boost :)
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: proccessor or ssd to make Computer faster

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: proccessor or ssd to make Computer faster

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:57 AM

View Postunknownusernameunderdog, on 21 November 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

What do you think is better ssd or i7 7700??

both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:09 AM

but will i7 7700 increase speed significantly to start and applications?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:15 AM

http://cpu.userbench...7700/3892vs3887
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:21 AM

Yes i know benchmarks but i am asking about your experience?is it slightly? faster?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:24 AM

Don't know. I have an Intel i5.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:46 AM

which model?xD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 andrewsw   User is online

• Stealth IT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:03 AM

I'm always willing to offer my unsubstantiated opinion (and you'll find a lot of opinions on the internet) ;)

The quickest and simplest improvement is a consideration of RAM. RAM is generally a sensibly priced option these days. I read previously someone declaring that there isn't much to be gained beyond 8GB but, given the price, I'd be happy to switch up to 16GB (or max out). (Besides, I read that statement a few years ago.)

People are supposedly wowed by the switch to SSD, affecting day-to-day responsive. Bear in mind that the SSD is likely to have much lower capacity than 1TB. (I suppose an additional external hard-drive, or other storage, might be a consideration.)

A CPU upgrade is the most complicated choice, and you probably wouldn't notice a change with simple web browsing and document editor. You would do with more CPU intensive applications and work.

As I say, this is my general understanding, offered as a starting point.

What Hardware Upgrade Will Best Speed Up My PC (If I Can Only Afford One)?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

** Topic moved to computer support -> hardware -> Desktop **

View Postandrewsw, on 21 November 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

The quickest and simplest improvement is a consideration of RAM.

I will second this.

Program execution occurs is memory, the bottle neck is how many instructions that it can store.
A cpu executes instructions, as fast as it can get them. If your memory is swapping, a faster CPU just means it will wait longer between cycles.
An SSD is going to chache hard drive bandwidth, it will speed up reads & writes, which is essentially storing instructions & data into RAM, & writing them back to disk.

Knowing what you are doing, & where you are experiencing slowness, would be the first step to speeding it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:26 AM

Folk are right.. in what area are you seeing a 'slowness'?
Then what's the rest of your box's specs? Is it an off the shelf system? If so what's the make and model? Is it custom built? Then what's the motherboard?
What's the RAM situation?
Videocard?

An SSD does make things a bit snappier on boot and some retrieval.. but that may not be what you are looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

If you dont have SSD, i think you should get it first. Dont look for speed like MB/sec kind, any SSD are fast because they does not have seek time (HDD have it, a time to spin, move a head over and over makes delay like 10MS while SSD have it like 0.1NS), so its clear to understand, no moving parts, no waiting for seek, no waiting for load, all files can be accessed instantly, including parallel load, and it loads instantly. You will notice SSD at OS usage, all applications will run like instantly, complex applications that need 5-10sec to start will need 1-2ses, you will notice specially under heavy I/O load, like boot/start up, when lots of things have to be loaded.

OFC there are some tweaks and must know things about SSD, how to configure OS, how to use it, what to do and what not to do, it must die in like less then 5 years, etc. ATM i cant imagine working without SSD. Long time ago, i give a try RAM Disk, it was really fast, it was perfect, DDR2 time, XP at RAM Disk with instant everything and read/write speed from 2-7GB/sec, amazing, but for projects as on desktop was not safe thing to use. So i switch to SSD for System Drive, and i got 9 years warranty from Intel for their SSD, im compiling and starting my applications that im working on, like 100 times a day, each time it needs 10-30 sec to compile and launch, its hell of time waste in productivity, on SSD it gets compiled and launched under 2sec, so its not a pain in ass anymore to start application for checking bugs or so like before, now im not launching 100 times a day, but more like 1000 a day. For standard user who move from HDD to SSD is like, restarting PC is not a problem anymore.

So it all depends on what you need, if you need CPU power for any reason, go for it, if you need fast access and I/O, go for SSD. In the end you need both, so make first step wise.

BTW Launching software speed doesnt realy on CPU power, because there is almost no application that need like 100% CPU power to launch, it only makes sense in like rendering, where CPU will work with 100% power for several hours, days, months, so faster one means you will save several hours, days... To increase application launching, you need fast drive, fast RAM will give you like 5% additional speed. Dont watch north bridges at MBOs to avoid complications in your head. If you have low FPS, then invest in your GPU. If you are always out of RAM, OS will use disk as a replacement, killing every possible speed (because you know, RAM are fast as electricity, and disk is not), so in this case, RAM would be priority on top of everything else.

Its like a car, you have engine (CPU), tires (RAM) and transmission (HDD/SSD), doesnt make sense to have top of the line engine without tires, it will be slow that way, and if you have nice engine and tires, investing in transmission will boost everything really high and make usage of that true power engine and tires and use their potential.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 21 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1