how long will it take to start earning money from web developing

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1530 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how long will it take to start earning money from web developing

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

I am looking for a field to study that will able me to earn extra money but no as a full time job (something about 20 hours a week)

Ive searched for web developers freealancers, they all seem to have many years of expirence.
I am not sure web developing is for me, so I dont want to put more than 2 yeras of study before earning money.

my quastion is, for the average learner how long will it take to acquire skills and knowledge to start making money from doing something in this field of web developing? (I am not seeking for big cash)

would appreciate your advice

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how long will it take to start earning money from web developing

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how long will it take to start earning money from web developing

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

A few months to a few years.

Also seen here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 December 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

A few months to a few years.

can you be a bit more specific? like what is the first basic jobs I can get and what skills would they need me to have?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

2 years of active study before you can tackle basic freelance projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

That's a damn open ended question. I mean you could do everything from making whole CMS, updating themes in existing CMS like wordpress, making graphics, javascript snippets, database operations, API, mobile conversions, etc. There is no 'level 0 quest'.

I have no idea what your skill set is, what you plan on learning, or what your interests are. I mean I am not a full time career counselor, but I could be for a modest donation. Just trying to earn extra money but no as a full time job. ;) (i r funnyz)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 December 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

That's a damn open ended question. I mean you could do everything from making whole CMS, updating themes in existing CMS like wordpress, making graphics, javascript snippets, database operations, API, mobile conversions, etc. There is no 'level 0 quest'.

I have no idea what your skill set is, what you plan on learning, or what your interests are. I mean I am not a full time career counselor, but I could be for a modest donation. Just trying to earn extra money but no as a full time job. ;)/>

well so at the end its me who gave you an idea :)

I got no real skill set, I learned a bit SQL , HTMl but really just the basics.

I guss my quastions may be a bit annoying, but still I am just looking for an area/skill to learn that will take the less time to start earning basic money from it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

Here's a question.. you don't seem to particularly enthused at learning web dev, or programming in general... why not find another part time job? Do oil changes, cut lawns, or write articles online?

Also you don't need to quote the post above yours.. I know what I wrote. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

If development was easy, I wouldn't be paid so well to do it.

You are looking at the wrong skillset to earn easy money, period.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

didnt see the reply button

well you know what, maybe your right. its not like I am passionate about web develpopemnt, but many of those people working in 9-5 proggraming jobs arent really passionate about it, and if you take their salary away many of them wouldnt do it just for fun.

I am not looking for easy money, I am willing to learn hard but I just cant allow my self to wait years before getting the chance to earn my first cents, Ive alreay spent much time on my useless bachelor's degree so I dont want something like that happen again.

Plus... like I said I am not looking for getting paid well.

in every field there are those who do the basic job and those who do the more complicated thing and earn more money.

so thats what I am trying to figure out what is the basic job
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

What's your current degree in?

I don't know if it's a translation issue or what, but your words are going different directions.

- not looking for easy money
- willing to learn hard
- not looking for getting paid well.

Then for the love of Peter, go do find something you do enjoy, look to get paid well, and work hard for that. No reason to work hard for something which you expect not have easy money, not have a lot of money, and don't enjoy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Well maybe you enjoy what you do for living, but most people work just for living, and many of them lie about how they love what they do. (I am not saying all, but most)

my dream is to be a movie direcor, I write scripts but i need to be realistic and acknowledge that most of the chances I wount become the next terantino, but that doesnt mean I wount try, but while I try I need to do something to earn money.

right now I work as a security guard, yeah this guy who sits and does nothing, so I decided I want to learn some skill to do online via laptop, but as a part time job which I can do while I get paid for sitiing as security guard.

maybe this whole concept of web developing is too complicated for what I am looking for, maybe I just need to learn PC repair or something and find those grandfather who thier windows XP wount load.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

PC repair would be a way to get local money for sure. Though it's not like Apple, Android, or Win10 devices don't need repair. Hells bells you could be proficient with popping glass out of iphones and do mobile repair.

As an aside, you have a fairly Negative Nancy outlook. Perhaps up your chamomile or green tea intake. Help ease you into being a perky-perch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

When I started out with web development (which is pretty much where I started out in programming), I spent the first year learning about HTML, Javascript, CSS, PHP, and MySQL. By the end of it I had my own site up and running as well as a forum software (which I purchased) and was going with that. Then I wound up doing some volunteer stuff for a few years - learning new skills, including graphic design and web layout techniques, before I finally started making money at it (being employed part-time as a full-stack web developer). That path took me about 5 years (though 4 of those years, I was in high school for and had other jobs).

Now, based off of my experience, and speaking at a personal level, I believe I could have probably started signing up for amateur web development (especially front-end stuff) within 2 years of starting - possibly quicker if I forewent learning back-end development. However, it really depends on skill level and experience.

For instance, if I was to go in to web development at this point (having not done anything serious for it in the last 5 or so years), I imagine I could get my skills up with front-end frameworks (angular, bootstrap, etc.) and modern back-end PHP in a matter of 3-6 months and be capable of running as a full-stack professional web developer at that point (using an XAMPP stack). If I was instead allowed to use C++ for my back-end, I think I could be up and going in <= 3 months (just having to sharpen up my front-end skills).

What this all comes down to is that getting to the point that people are willing to pay you for something is extremely variable.

It also depends on what you find as acceptable to charge people for. I have a tendency to take a lot of pride in what I do and don't want to skimp on a project (I want it to be the best I can do). Each person is different though, and it is quite possible that people are willing to happily pay for work stuff that I wouldn't want to consider releasing - that is the way the world is.

In short, with 1-2 years of experience, I expect you can probably find somewhere that will hire you, especially if you are going for an entry (or even internship) role.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#14 andrewsw   User is online

• Bouncy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

Didn't many movie directors start by making independent, short, films, or taking wedding videos or photographs... or otherwise by getting their foot in the door with behind camera work. If this is your ambition then pursuing something similar - and something that has some interest for you - seems more sensible.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

I think the comments about motivation are pretty on-point. Developers get paid a lot of money, yes, but they put in a lot of work to make that investment worthwhile. That work is not unpleasant, if you happen to enjoy it, but if you're only doing it for the paycheck it's going to be pretty soul-crushing.

That being said, it's not hard to enjoy programming. If you like solving problems and figuring things out, you might find that the motivation you need is already there. I would suggest you try learning some python, for example using this free book and see what you think. You won't start making massive money from that, but you'll get an idea of what's involved in writing programs.

View Postandrewsw, on 07 December 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Didn't many movie directors start by making independent, short, films, or taking wedding videos or photographs... or otherwise by getting their foot in the door with behind camera work. If this is your ambition then pursuing something similar - and something that has some interest for you - seems more sensible.

There is a lot of truth here. If you can find a local mentor, or get hired on by a local production company (basically, doing anything at all, as long as you can move up) this might be more what you're looking for.
There's definitely work out there in that field. My company employs a guy who spends most of his time making promotional videos, and he loves his job.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +