4 Replies - 354 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What's the use of learning oracle sql by itself?

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

My company is developing new system and my manager asked me to practice SQL so I've been messing with SQL for past few weeks. But this brings me to a question. What's the use of knowing SQL alone? I mean, there's absolutely nothing you can do by SQL itself. No company would give you access to their db unless you are developer or something and even if you have access to db, what can you do there? Obviously, you can't delete or add stuff without permission and all you can do is messing with select, from, where etc to look up data and that's about it. Only use I can see so far is, when someone put wrong data on company webpage, you can only remove it from db since there's no option to do that on company webpage.. :(

Even if it's not for a company, what's good of knowing SQL by itself? For home use, excel is more than enough and easier to play with since you don't have thousands of line of data. Unless you know html and some java, you can't really make use of SQL either.. Sure, you can create table, add data on it but you can do that in excel too. I am just a bit confused here..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What's the use of learning oracle sql by itself?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What's the use of learning oracle sql by itself?

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:15 PM

What's the use? Set theory, data management, restoration, archiving, security, and data architecture for a start. There are jobs for people who only deal in databases. They administer them.. DBAs they are called. They don't touch a lick of code outside of sql queries and maybe SSRS packaging.

You think it's just data on a web page? Pffst. Ever heard of SOC 2 compliance? Yeah it's a big thing, and that's only one enemy rolling at the gate.

At home I use MSSQL. Excel is ok for some base figures and what not, but for my general use it's MSSQL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

Also, you often learn things in isolation so you can get a feel for how they work, without having to worry about things around them. It makes it easier.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 22 February 2018 - 11:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:51 PM

For large datasets knowing SQL is an absolute must, unless you want to spend countless hours doing task that can be simplied in a few lines of a select statement.

Many companies provide their analyst read access to the database or a replicate database. This can be helpful in many ways.

Example:

Reporting: Let's say your company has to pay another company to license its content, such as Hulu might pay NBC for giving their subscribers access to NBC's content. Would if you wanted a report that could tell you the cost per subscriber and if it was worth it to have NBC as a partner as the cost might outweigh the net returns. You can do these types of reporting with SQL statements, and once you write it once, you don't have to write it again. You could also balance, make sure you if you pay per subscriber that you pay the right amount, some programmer might have made an error, and you can write SQL statements to make sure you're not over or underpaying for the content.

I mean this is just one example, the list is endless of what you can do with SQL. If you're an analyst, knowing SQL puts you way above the Excel gurus as Excel can only handle 1 million rows. Companies have Millions and Billions and Trillions of records in databases that require analysis and reporting.

I'm only stating things outside of what a developer could do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

View Postshin777, on 26 December 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

My company is developing new system and my manager asked me to practice SQL so I've been messing with SQL for past few weeks. But this brings me to a question. What's the use of knowing SQL alone? I mean, there's absolutely nothing you can do by SQL itself. No company would give you access to their db unless you are developer or something and even if you have access to db, what can you do there? Obviously, you can't delete or add stuff without permission and all you can do is messing with select, from, where etc to look up data and that's about it. Only use I can see so far is, when someone put wrong data on company webpage, you can only remove it from db since there's no option to do that on company webpage.. :(/>

Even if it's not for a company, what's good of knowing SQL by itself? For home use, excel is more than enough and easier to play with since you don't have thousands of line of data. Unless you know html and some java, you can't really make use of SQL either.. Sure, you can create table, add data on it but you can do that in excel too. I am just a bit confused here..

I realize this is older but,

You are dead wrong. There are people who's job is nothing but the database. So, Yes, companies will hire and give you access to the database without being a developer. In fact, larger companies don't like developers having access to their database because, developers are stupid and think they know everything and end up screwing up the data.

You are also VERY shortsighted on what a database can do. I know Oracle Application developers. They only work within the database. I also prefer working with a database from the command line. So, why is it that "you need to know html and some java" to make use of data?

Being new is great, but when you don't understand what can be done with things, let's not throw what you can and can't do or what is needed to use things, K.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1