3 Replies - 373 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Dual boot Windows/Linux Distro(s)

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

This is my first laptop that I bought brand new and I love it very much. In my past, learning from mistake after mistake I've realized dual booting OS's can be dangerous and irreversible, at least with ease..

So what I would like to do is format my 1TB HDD Disk drives, which are split into C: drive of 550GB and a D: drive of 350GB and combine them into just a C: drive (I never use the data drive anyway).

There is an empty PCIE slot for a SSD with NVMe Gen.3 x 4 slot which I plan on filling sometime soon.

My goal is to have a Windows OS on the SSD with the only thing I use Windows OS for, which is MMORPG gaming.

The extra HDD I would like to have a dual boot of a few linux distros (Arch, Mint, Debian, what have you).

1. Is this a plausible setup?
2. What kind of bootloader would be best for dual booting with Windows as the original OS
3. From looking at the Disk Manager I know that I can't remove the first 300MB for booting purposed
(learned that the hard way -_-)
so I was planning on merging the C: and D: drives into one C: drive.
4. I assume that I can't do any Linux OS installations yet without first having my SSD installed and transferring my Windows OS and files into it first, but i'm no expert.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dual boot Windows/Linux Distro(s)

#2 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dual boot Windows/Linux Distro(s)

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

View PostZhme, on 01 January 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

2. What kind of bootloader would be best for dual booting with Windows as the original OS

You would use the Windows bootloader then, if you want that as primary. Though I wouldn't do this, as they've never really played well with Linux. I would instead use Grub. maybe things have changed, but from my experience part of Windows self management of the boot process, if something is wrong it just re-writes it. So if you go through the pain of setting up a dual boot system, it just rewrites it to auto boot itself as the main os.

View PostZhme, on 01 January 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

4. I assume that I can't do any Linux OS installations yet without first having my SSD installed and transferring my Windows OS and files into it first, but i'm no expert.

You should backup anything that you need to save. You'll repartition Windows to be smaller & install linux on unpartitioned space after it. The Grub boot manager will be able to boot properly from there & point to any OS that you configure it to.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

You know I find that dual booting these days isn't really needed. I would suggest you do something like VMs. You can download a program like virtualbox and run all your linux distros as VM machines and it is ridiculously easy. You can run multiple OS systems all on the same computer and they will behave just like full fledged installations. I use Windows as a main machine and can easily run Red Hat Linux and other Linux distros as VMs. No messy dual booting necessary. Then when you want to remove a distro, you just delete the VM and your main OS is untouched.

Some colleagues of mine will use a separate SSD just for their VMs to run with but again, no need to mess with dual booting and can start VMs only when you would like to use them. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Great idea, Martyr2 also helps you learn some finer points of networking too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1