2 Replies - 332 Views - Last Post: 16 January 2018 - 04:27 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Software Cannot Meet The Monitor Resolution.Help!

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

Hello Sir,

Can someone help me as my problem is our software cannot meet the resolution for my client monitor (model:Acer , 20inch).The resolution monitor for my client is 1366 x 768.But this is strange that our software not exactly meet monitor resolution as we test on a different monitor,its success.

The software should look like this: See Attached Img 001

But its turn into this: See Attached img 002

even the scroll bar cannot scroll because of the resolution.Maybe we need a graphic cards to match the resolution or we change something through hrd coded?is there any way i can change and meet the resolution?

noted that client monitor cannot chnge to higher than 1366 x 768 as it supported only by that value.

Please Help!

Thanks Sir.

Img 001: https://imgur.com/a/RzuLg
Img 002: https://imgur.com/a/XfJoq

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software Cannot Meet The Monitor Resolution.Help!

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Software Cannot Meet The Monitor Resolution.Help!

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Well, when you are creating a software, make the software in the lowest resolution possible, it means lower then 640x480, my base are around 320x240 and im increasing it until all objects that depends on text length can fit into it (i increase more width usually), because its resizable, on resize each object are gonna have its position, so maximize to any resolution wont be a problem (as far as its supported, i think my max. are 7200x4800 for applications).

Talking about resize, i see your software got fixed dimensions, in that case i would not make it bigger then 640x480 or even 800x600, so it can fit in any monitors resolution.

According to Firefox usage, 70% of peoples worldwide are using 1024x768 and 1366x768, only 10% are using 1920x1080 resolution. Thats why lots of web-based games and sites are made for 720p (and they look "empty" on 1080p, and "too empty" at 4k).

Thats about to fit in, but if it doesnt fit (its bigger then monitor resolution), wont be so user friendly to use it (for various reasons peoples on their systems may have low resolution, even super computer near my place has 640x360 resolution), and if its unable to scroll, also unable to move top title of a window outside the monitor, so rest of a application will always be outside the monitor, never to be seen, even with scroll.

I even made my own resize and move function for my borderless and non-movable applications, cant resize it less then its minimal resolution, cant resize it bigger then your monitor, cant move it outside the monitor, that you can check here (its non-movable and borderless window/application with disabled resizing, but i made it possible), to avoid depending on Windows OS (because we dont know what future will bring), to be able to run even on Unix/Wine without any possible problem, because i like stand-alone and portable applications.

If software has to be in specific big resolution, segment for that requirement should be specified, you can see it in many new games and new big softwares that wont run on resolution lower then its minimal requirements (because it cant fit in lower resolution without overlaying objects and distorting everything).

For your problem, try checking the project properties before you publish it for this kind of a issue, your software arnt that much complicated, so you should avoid some requirements, if there are no settings for that, make a function for resolution. Personally, at application launch i made one function for setting my application at the center of a monitor, and applying minimal resolution on its own before window become visible, after that i can maximize it on launch or whatever.
Point is to handle it by application, and not leaving its position (specially useful if client had it at 2nd extended monitor, and remove it, even Windows 10 will launch it outside of a main monitor) and size to something else (like OS). There are also this problem with Windows OS (i never experienced it), and i think it has something to do with Microsoft bugged DPI resolution (thats never gonna be perfect), there is no way around it (except maximizing window by hotkeys or from Task Manager, thats not the great, but the only way).

To be clear, application like this looks bad at 1080p, even picture with 900 pixels long cant fit between my slim task bar and address/bookmarks. Whole application can fit inside 600 height, moving bottom (important part) to the left or right side to give it better/bigger/longer preview, increasing width from 400 to 800 pixels, so it can fit in 800x600 thats gonna look way better. What i wanna to say, there are fixes, but i recommend to rework it.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 16 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Custom Control Freak
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software Cannot Meet The Monitor Resolution.Help!

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

As Radius Nightly has already mentioned, you should always design your application to fit in a smaller common screen resolution such as 800x600 or 1024x768. However, you also need to take into account that the user may have their taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen instead of the left or right side of the screen. That means that if you made the the form's height 768, the taskbar would still be covering part of the form.

The easiest/quickest fix would be to just change the form's height to about 700 if you target the 1024x768 screen size for the minimum screen requirements. After-all, the form is scroll-able so, the user can scroll vertically to get to the controls even if the form is a little smaller than the height of the screen's working area height. A lot of applications have a minimum screen size requirement and most users today have the option of 1024x768, even my old XP machine has that so, it should be a pretty safe size to use as a minimum requirement.

If you really feel the need to have the form's height set to the maximum of the users working area screen height, it can be done but, it would requires a little more work if you want it to be reliable, which if you didn't you would only be creating your next problem.

I say that because, with the user option of using different screen scaling values which became a user option since windows Vista came out, you would need to make your application DpiAware in the app.manifest, or you would need to use the GetDeviceCaps win32 api function to get the true size of the screen. This is because, the .Net Screen class functions will not report the true scaled screen size if the user is using a scaling of 150% or more, and you don't use one of these methods.

There is also the option of setting the height to the minimum as i mentioned above, and let the user be able to resize the height of the form but, not the width.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1