11 Replies - 1138 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

In-Demand Software Related Skills?

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Hey all,
So skydiver has convinced me to switch from Visual C++ (2015/17) over to C# ... Since I will be scraping my current project and starting over.. what do you all think would be a good platform to code in C# on? I hear ASP.NET is big in demand right now? I don't make a lot at my current TWO jobs so I will probably be soon looking into getting a third job and j/w what platforms are big in demand?

I already have a fully functioning note-taking / HelpDesk Note taking / PowerShell UI which was written in Visual C++ and works extremely well. I used to use it all the time before my company told me they need to approve it first. It has saved me countless hours and headaches.. and I couldn't have done it without the help of a ton of you here on dreamincode.net // you seriously have changed my life (if you helped me learn to code in C++)

I also have an app in the google play store that was written in xamarin called "subwoofer wiring help" .. so I already know a BIT of C# / XML , but I want to get GOOD at it. I have ideas for a few pieces of software that I will be working on in the coming months, but I'd like to know what types of platforms you all think would be worth developing for???

IE: ASP.NET / Android / iOS / Windows ???

My goal is to be marketable to future employers, and VC++ is pretty ancient at this point. While I can be highly pragmatic with it, I feel as though it's a dead end path.

LMK,
toodles

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: In-Demand Software Related Skills?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: In-Demand Software Related Skills?

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Depends on the company. Poke around local job boards, rub elbows with some recruiters, and hit up local dev groups. See what folks are looking for, what their interest is, and so on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

As an aside, C++ is typically a deadend for IT related things unless you are tasked to develop custom software that needs to be a tight as possible. Most IT related things will go down the ASP.NET or WPF/Xamarin path if they are a Windows shop, or else the Java path. If your IT department does a lot of customizations for desktops, then Xamarin/UWP/WPF or Java would hit a lot of bases. If your IT department prefers to keep things web based, then learning the web stack that they prefer would put you at an advantage. As noted above, and I've hinted, this is very company dependent.

I was only dissuading your from C++ because you were using C++/CLI and at that you were using stuff in C++/CLI that would have been easier to do in C#. If on the other hand you were actually using C++/CLI for truly getting to facilities that C# or PowerShell would have a hard time getting to, then I wouldn't have made the recommendation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

I don't really have time though to learn how C++ works within the OS itself.. My company is hassling me enough as is about this even using powershell scripts.. I can only imagine if I were actually doing this directly within the OS and having to deal with security concerns. The idea behind running powershell scripts is that it's already secured. essentially, It just makes my job way easier being able to use a UI to move files around and install printers. The company I work for uses remote-in technology instead of powershell... which makes no sense due to immense amounts of lag. Remote tech is fine for troubleshooting; but when it comes to installing printers and drivers, powershell is far more efficient.

I hear what you're saying but again, I don't have all day to code.. I can only do it in between tasks that I am supposed to be doing. This is all on the side to make my job easier, and troubleshooting even what I have already done has been difficult. I fix other people's problems all day long so having to deal with problems within my own software is unacceptable.

thanks for the suggestions tho! I'll get started with those
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

Java/Angular stack is hot right now I think.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

If you've never programmed in a functional way, now might be a good time to learn, since that is commonplace today.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

I definitely program in a functional way. I've got a program that I wrote which makes my job 100x faster and easier. I'm just wondering what types of branches I should go off into in order to maximize my marketability to employers. I've already got a published app in the google play store which calculates subwoofer circuit resistance values and works perfectly as-well as a Powershell/Note taking/organizational/windows toolkit/user data mover/quick transfer file system that I wrote in VC++... All I do is write functional software. I'm just looking for tips on what's in-demand so I know what to use for my next personal projects.

I'm writing another app for bitchute.com right now which will be an Android/iOS/Windows Phone app for their p2p video hosting platform. It's in C#/XML and those are kinda in-demand. But to answer my original question:

JAVA JAVA JAVA

I hate runtime environments though so I'm sticking with ASP.NET/Xamarin/C# for now

toodles

This post has been edited by hexagod: 14 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

I hate runtime environments though
Ok, I understa-

so I'm sticking with ASP.NET/Xamarin/C# for now

:thinking-face:
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

View Posthexagod, on 14 February 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

I definitely program in a functional way. I've got a program that I wrote which makes my job 100x faster and easier.

Just to be clear, when people say "functional" in the same sentence as "programming", they usually mean a particular style of programming that is marked by function composition, avoidance of global state and mutable variables, and usually an almost unbearable degree of smugness. They don't usually mean "programming that serves some function".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 ndc85430  Icon User is online

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:20 AM

I'm not smug ;), but in any case learning different ways to solve problems is obviously beneficial.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 15 February 2018 - 01:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:59 AM

View Postxclite, on 14 February 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

I hate runtime environments though
Ok, I understa-

so I'm sticking with ASP.NET/Xamarin/C# for now

:thinking-face:

That wasn't well worded.

I hate runtime environments: but in this case I have no choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

View Postndc85430, on 15 February 2018 - 03:20 AM, said:

I'm not smug ;)/>, but in any case learning different ways to solve problems is obviously beneficial.

Go ahead and be smug. You've got the chops, you've earned it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1