5 Replies - 1460 Views - Last Post: 15 November 2018 - 05:44 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is the difference between UI Design and UX Design?

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:27 AM

What is the difference between UI Design and UX Design?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is the difference between UI Design and UX Design?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: What is the difference between UI Design and UX Design?

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:49 AM

In application everything thats user will see is some kind of graphical interface, so peoples are sing different names to define it.
UI (User Interface) or GUI means everything that user will see (layout, fonts, colors, visual designs...), and UX (User Experience) doesnt means everything they will see, but the boost for their productivity (interaction, showing information, how everything are sorted, features).

For example, on mobile device, when you launch some application, everything you see are UI, but when you swipe fingers on touch screen, something happen, and thats UX.

Another example, when you select this text, right click it and choose copy, thats UI, but if you select it and press CTRL + C, thats almost UX, its a feature, something that you like, something that boost your productivity, but not as user experience, because when it was made, UX didnt exist at all, thats why i said almost.

And another example, when you are in application that provides you lots of information, its UI, like layout, some order, but be able to change it and provide better layout are done trough UX, because if you like something and you mean thats the best way, it doesnt mean other 90% of people will like that, so UX are done more with users research and their preferences.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

I disagree with this.

I would say UI design is a thing of the past because it was so focused on the layout and not sufficiently thought out.

Then people started to think: instead of focusing on what we want to display and how logically and intuitively it is laid out, why wouldn't we view the website through the prism of the users' context, incentives and expectations ?

This idea seems very natural and you might think that people have always done that, and you would be wrong. It is true that UX is a wider point of view than just the looks, but is also and especially a matter of understanding and modelling the different kinds of users who will use your app and the interactions they can have with it. And you don't do thins in your head, there are tools and methds to help you do this correctly, because you can do it wrong.

UX is user-oriented when UI is content-oriented. That's the main difference.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 01 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:07 AM

Nice chart.
Too bad it's wrong ;)

Why would a design based on the user's needs & requirements be lacking good colours and typography ? Having the user in mind totally dictates your font and colours choices, although it is true branding limits your options, but it is not always the case (see how Givenchy, which makes very bold statements in the Couture world, has totally different approaches to design when they sell their fragrances: they make each product a brand and this is why they are successful), and even when the brand does limit your options, if it is well positioned, its graphic codes have the user in mind too.

Users' needs and requirements are the core of good marketing. You don't design products based on what you can do any more : we don't live in a world where "a customer can have a car painted any color he wants as long as it’s black" (Henry Ford), you design products based on what you expect the demand to be, so the "client's needs and requirements" approach is totally outdated, and stating that this is the definition of UI design is totally unfair, it is a straw man argument to make UX seem more insightful (which it is, in its own right).

I would say UI is, was, more about consistency : thinking about the product, showing how it is so good at accomplishing this and that, which is what the user needs, but it is more a "see what I can do (for you)" approach rather than "see what you can do (with me)".

The difference is hard to pinpoint, historically, anyway because it is a continuum. The "UX designer" job title did show up very late but we didn't magically start to think this way in 2015 or so.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 21 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:44 AM

Such a impressive explanation and clarification about UI Design and UX Design.
Thanks a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1