2 Replies - 457 Views - Last Post: 31 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

[Career Advice] Associate to Apprentice?

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Hey, currently I am an App Developer that works on Android and iOS so java and swift. I have about 1 year of professional development experience on the job at an Entry/Associate level position. If you count internships it would be 2 years overall. I'm pretty fresh out of college. I haven't done web development in a long time. The company I am looking at is a Web Development Shop. Im fine with HTML5, CSS, and novice Javascript but I don't know any backed technologies to a professional level but I did have an internship with ASP.NET 2 years back. I also do not know any of the new front end frameworks as in React, Angular etc. I have a lot to learn in about a 4 - 6 month time span. 4 Months from now I either need to renew my lease or find a new place to live. The new company I am interested in is in another city nearby but I would have to move as the commute would be too long to work.

My dilemma I am not a web developer, I'm a mobile developer looking to get into web development by learning it on the side. Other dilemma, the company is looking for A Software Developer with >= 3 years of experience. I am positive I can fill that role but not without some on the job learning since I have no done web in awhile and I don't know really much of the technologies in their web stack. But from the job posting it sounds like they want someone already revved up and ready to be dropped in to the thick of things.

The other job they have is for a Software Development Apprentice. In this role they would mentor me for 8 months full time while I get paid. And I would learn their tech stack. This sounds good but it may be at the risk of a pay cut to what I am currently making. I am turning 24 this year but I don't want to take a step back in my development career by taking a potential pay cut, it may actually be the same that I am making now as an Associate level developer. It seems like a lot of the Apprentices receive offers after they finish the apprenticeship to work at a Software Developer which is about $10,000 more then what I currently make in salary.

What do you all think? Both sound good to me just I feel like there is a higher percentage of me getting the Apprentice role vs the Software Developer role. What do you all think?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [Career Advice] Associate to Apprentice?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [Career Advice] Associate to Apprentice?

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Well it sounds like you have some life choices to make before you think about career choice. Do you want to move to another city? Can you get by on less pay if just for a little while? Do you think you will have the time and drive to learn some tech in 4 months? I would answer those questions first because they are going to tell you which way to go.

Honestly if you don't have a server side language really tucked under your belt (ASP.NET 2 years ago may not help much if they went to something like ASP.NET core which has really changed. Are they even doing ASP.NET?) then you are really at a disadvantage there. If you want to do web dev, you need to be learning a server-side language ASAP. JS Frameworks are also a rage right now and while I wouldn't try to pick up everything under the sun, Angular or React might be a great first step. At least learn one of those.

But it sounds like you are really under the gun on the whole stay vs go thing. Decide that first. If you are still ok with going with what you know then the apprenticeship might be great too. At 24 I might have also just said "Hey, I will take the pay cut if it means I can switch gears temporarily". Sometimes you have to take a step back to go 5 steps forward. If you really want to do web dev, you will make up for it later in pay anyways so consider it an investment.

You should get comfortable with sacrifice on occasion... even if it means that you can do what you love and it leads to a better career later. In tech everything is always changing so sometimes it goes in your favor, sometimes not. But as long as you have the big picture in mind, switching gears can be rough but always pays off in the end. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: [Career Advice] Associate to Apprentice?

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 30 January 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

Well it sounds like you have some life choices to make before you think about career choice. Do you want to move to another city? Can you get by on less pay if just for a little while? Do you think you will have the time and drive to learn some tech in 4 months? I would answer those questions first because they are going to tell you which way to go.

Honestly if you don't have a server side language really tucked under your belt (ASP.NET 2 years ago may not help much if they went to something like ASP.NET core which has really changed. Are they even doing ASP.NET?) then you are really at a disadvantage there. If you want to do web dev, you need to be learning a server-side language ASAP. JS Frameworks are also a rage right now and while I wouldn't try to pick up everything under the sun, Angular or React might be a great first step. At least learn one of those.

But it sounds like you are really under the gun on the whole stay vs go thing. Decide that first. If you are still ok with going with what you know then the apprenticeship might be great too. At 24 I might have also just said "Hey, I will take the pay cut if it means I can switch gears temporarily". Sometimes you have to take a step back to go 5 steps forward. If you really want to do web dev, you will make up for it later in pay anyways so consider it an investment.

You should get comfortable with sacrifice on occasion... even if it means that you can do what you love and it leads to a better career later. In tech everything is always changing so sometimes it goes in your favor, sometimes not. But as long as you have the big picture in mind, switching gears can be rough but always pays off in the end. :)/>

Thanks I appreciate the advice most definitely. So I'm in between as the Software Developer position lists their tech stack in the about but under the qualifications it says you should have greater than or equal to 3 years of full stack experience and it does not specify a language or framework. Technically though all of my internet ships and current position I have been full stack but not specific to web development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1