3 Replies - 209 Views - Last Post: 14 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi!

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

My name is Kylie. I am 23 years old and recently began school majoring in computer science. I have always been really into computers and all tech-y things, and decided a computer career is perfect for me. I am still mostly just taking gen-eds, but I am looking to get a head start and learn to code.

I would love to be a video game designer, but there aren't very many opportunities for that around me (I'm about 2 hours south of Chicago). If anybody has any advice on where to begin and what languages you recommend I learn first, that would be great! Like I said, I am pretty much as beginner as they come.

I'm excited to continue through my schooling and work along with the people here to learn more! Thanks!!

-Ky

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi!

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi!

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

Welcome!

I would suggest taking a look at future classes and see what they use. May as well get a jump on the languages before you need them.

Outside of that I am a fan of C# and Unity for game programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

Welcome! I'm fairly new around here as well, so it's nice to see another new face :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

Welcome to DIC!

The first language question is one that people ask a lot - I don't think it matters a whole lot, frankly. I mean, obviously you want something reasonable, not PHP or perl or something, but for any reasonable language the first hurdles are about the same, and you're probably going to learn a lot of languages over time, so don't sweat it too much. The important thing is that you focus on learning good programming skills, and that you don't just focus on syntax questions.

Personally, I think python and java are good places to start, but C# is basically a Java clone, so if you want to limit yourself to the .NET framework, it's fine as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1