1 Replies - 718 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2018 - 06:33 AM

• Let it rip!
  • member icon

• View blog

VPN simple questions

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I have posted. I am working on a simple vpn for my church staff to log in from home.

I am using an RV130w Cisco VPN router to get it done. My question is what IP's do I use for the Remote LAN (Local network)IP Address and the Local LAN (local Network) IP address?
Posted Image

Does this route to a computer and give the guest a local IP? I am not sure how to set this up, any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VPN simple questions

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: VPN simple questions

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:33 AM

Goodmorning LaytonsDad!

I would like to see what other options you have under the Remote Endpoint dropdown.

VPN's are great tools, and I really like where your thinking is with giving the staff the ability to work from home. A VPN is exactly what you need in order to do that. However, there are a ton of different ways that VPN's can be configured, but the basic structure is the same. I feel that if I help you conceptualize the basic structure of a VPN, I think you'll be able to run with this. You'll also see why I wanted to see more of that dropdown.

VPN's are nothing more than an encrypted tunnel through the internet from point A to point B. This is critical to envision. Tunnel, point A, point B. Using the terms from your Cisco Box, Local LAN would be where you physically are (the church), while Remote LAN (staff) would be the other end of the tunnel.

So, it's possible that point A would be the church (or any number of devices at the church), and point B would be you, at home! The problem there is, not all your staff lives with you....

So, point B has to be a pool. There are a ton of ways for a pool to happen. You could have a proxy server, you could have firewall rules, LDAP, and so on.

So, to give you an answer that would help you configure that device, I would like to see what other options you have in the drop down, other than IP Address.

I am not sure how much of your topology and architecture you want to share here, but knowing that would help get you a solution.

Just keep in mind, that Remote LAN is the other end of the tunnel. Local LAN is your end of the tunnel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1