• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 2408 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Open Source

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

What are your guy's thoughts on open source? Do you like it? Dislike it? Do you even use it?

I personally have been thinking about making an open source project recently, but I'm still looking into it, as I don't know the ins and outs of it quite yet.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Open Source

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Open Source

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

It's ok.
Sure.
Some projects.
Sometimes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

I believe open source is a good thing and use lots of open source software both at home and work. I mean, really, all the libraries and frameworks we use are open source, as well as Git for version control and probably other things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, I think it has it's place. I personally don't understand those people who believe ONLY in open source. Like, how could you be okay with everything you create's source code being available for the world to see?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

POPULAR

View Post8Bit Bob, on 21 February 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

how could you be okay with everything you create's source code being available for the world to see?

How could you not? :P

Look up security through obscurity. This is the principal that proprietary systems tout as their strength. However, any serious security algorithm must be open, because relying on the secret being maintained is not just naive, but ultimately self defeating. A nice example of this is the object lesson of DeCSS, where an entire industry thought they could keep a secret: hint, they were wrong.

The real challenge for a programmer is getting paid for their work. If that can be done in a open source environment, more the better. The fact is that vast swaths of modern technology simply wouldn't be possible without open source. Even proprietary systems rely on open source; some being more legal about this than others.

Open standards, a type of open source, is what makes it possible for me to post this and you to read it. Without open source, there is no Internet.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

Like, how could you be okay with everything you create's source code being available for the world to see?

The counter-argument to that is, "how you can be okay with code that you can't see running on your own computer?"
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

Yes, I suppose you're right. I just prefer to keep my code to myself, it's just my personality. However, maybe I'm just over thinking it :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

I mean I do that too, for some of my own projects that I've just hacked together. Of course there's nothing wrong with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, and most of my projects (so far) are small little things, not massive projects that are bound to have tons of hidden bugs and such.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

What I really hate is when a company puts something out open source.. but doesn't do my darn implementation work for me for free. ;) /sarcasm for anyone who gets the thread call back.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

View Post8Bit Bob, on 21 February 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yes, I suppose you're right. I just prefer to keep my code to myself, it's just my personality. However, maybe I'm just over thinking it :P/>

Once I realized how much about coding that I didn't know, I realized I had nothing of value that I was keeping to myself.

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 February 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

What I really hate is when a company puts something out open source.. but doesn't do my darn implementation work for me for free. ;)

**digital rimshot**
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

View Post8Bit Bob, on 21 February 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

I just prefer to keep my code to myself, it's just my personality.

Your code is yours, you do whatever you like with it. However, while it means a great deal to you when you're working on it, it helps to keep in mind that any decent programmer would be able to duplicate the functionality. I know, you have those moments of "damn, that's clever" but the only person that would ever really understand how clever it is would be another programmer.

The only reason I'm ever reluctant to show someone else code is if I think it's crap. Then I remember that if I look at it a year from now, even the stuff I thought was great I'll think is crap.

To paraphrase da Vinci, Code is never finished, only abandoned.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Once I realized how much about coding that I didn't know, I realized I had nothing of value that I was keeping to myself.

I've seen that kind of thing from time to time with people I'll help on a forum like this one. They'll ask some beginning questions about Javascript, for example, we get their problem worked out, and then they want to figure out how to protect their code so no one can steal it. As if this person who just learned some programming basics has come up with some trade secret algorithm that no one has thought of before. I guess it's natural to want to protect things you make, but in the case of code, if someone else takes it and uses it you don't lose anything, you still have it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, I think I was over thinking it a bit to much. I guess I shouldn't be that worried about it :D

This post has been edited by 8Bit Bob: 21 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

Well I just uploaded my first open source project! I'm a bit nervous, mainly because I don't have the best code writing skills, and I'm afraid people will notice, but I decided to just suck it up and post it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +