5 Replies - 627 Views - Last Post: 16 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need website review (please forgive all the cats)

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

Would anyone be able to give this a quick look? So far I have just been using this for friends and family. Question - is it ok to use this 'home-made' CMS to build a commercial website? Are there any glaring problems that I am too close to see?

https://lilaworks.com

I appreciate any advice and feedback. Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need website review (please forgive all the cats)

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need website review (please forgive all the cats)

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

That is a cute little site. The cats sure did make me chuckle a little. As for feedback, the menu layout is a little weird and the sub menus have too much space between them. I would look to clean that up. I am also not sure why I can see admin panel stuff. It doesn't appear to let me add a page or anything, but I shouldn't even be seeing it. So you might want to make sure all that is locked away behind a login page.

As for your question, I wouldn't say you are ready to go commercial with it yet. As stated the admin panel and menus need fixing and you might want to organize the boxes for editing content a little nicer. Good commercial CMS' take quite a bit of effort. They are also going to be compared to the big 3 (WordPress, Drupal and Joomla) so you have to be somewhere in the ballbark of those or else no one will give it a second thought.

Keep at it and build it out some more not just with family feedback but continued feedback from others like you did here. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

Question - is it ok to use this 'home-made' CMS to build a commercial website?

If it is moderately complex, houses PPI (Protected personal information), needs reliable security, etc I would advocate no.

Looks ok. It is hard to tell what is the 'admin' panel versus the page, and why it would be embedded with the site header/menus/etc on it.

You should probably remove the yahoo email address in the 'customize your website'.

Menu add is not working.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 26 February 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

That is a cute little site. The cats sure did make me chuckle a little. As for feedback, the menu layout is a little weird and the sub menus have too much space between them. I would look to clean that up. I am also not sure why I can see admin panel stuff. It doesn't appear to let me add a page or anything, but I shouldn't even be seeing it. So you might want to make sure all that is locked away behind a login page.

As for your question, I wouldn't say you are ready to go commercial with it yet. As stated the admin panel and menus need fixing and you might want to organize the boxes for editing content a little nicer. Good commercial CMS' take quite a bit of effort. They are also going to be compared to the big 3 (WordPress, Drupal and Joomla) so you have to be somewhere in the ballbark of those or else no one will give it a second thought.

Keep at it and build it out some more not just with family feedback but continued feedback from others like you did here. :)/>

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

Hi Martyr2 -

Thanks for the feedback!

I fixed a few things - added a message on the front page to indicate that this is the logged in condition. A regular visitor to the site wouldn't see the administrative buttons.

I also added that the file writing functions are disabled for the demo.

There is much more to be done, but it really helps when someone takes the time to look it over - thanks, srsly!

Tanster
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Love your design. I would changes couple small stuff. nothing big.

contact page:
1. make all input fields same size.
2. message input field width and height is not lock. you can drag it and make it bigger.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1