Prospecting Student/Active Duty Air Force

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1318 Views - Last Post: 02 March 2018 - 04:23 PM

Poll: Prospecting Student/Active Duty Air Force (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you recommend?

1. Bootcamp (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Software Engineering Degree (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Software Developer Degree (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Computer Science Degree (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Prospecting Student/Active Duty Air Force

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Not sure, not really up on JS books. Eloquent Javascript is a responsible treatment of the language, but I feel like there are some tooling issues that might be confusing. Worth a try, but it's possible you'll be a little lost trying to get started. Specifically, he assumes for didactic purposes the existence of a print function which does not actually exist - this means that a lot of his code examples don't actually work in actual javascript, and he offers no really good way around this. You can read the third edition free at his site: http://eloquentjavascript.net/ which means it's a pretty risk-free trial if you want to give it a go.
(hm. I see that in the third edition he seems to have got rid of the print business - this might be more usable)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

So then you are going for web dev? I just learn JS from w3schools.

Also, Ruby seems to be the industry standard so far for test automation, what with cucumbers and such. Rails for web apps, yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

View PostTvcker, on 01 March 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

View Postastonecipher, on 01 March 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

Correspondence courses are your best bet. Personally, I would shy away from bootcamps, there are a lot of subpar corporations more than happy to take money from service members and VABenefit payouts. If you want to do the school thing, wait until you are out and go the GIBill route where you can more easily focus, at a regionally accredited school. In the mean time, grab some books that pique your interest.

Im not sure what "Correspondence courses" are, can you elaborate on that?:)/>/>/>/> and thanks for the advice on the GI Bill. I just want to be able to leave the air force job ready you know? Do you have any books that you would recommend?:)/>/>/>/>

Forgot to respond to this.

When I was in the Army we had courses we could take through the Army Portal. AF has the same thing, Air Force Career Development Academy.

It appears the AF also has its own Community College, and here is their course catalog.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#19 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

Im not sure what "Correspondence courses" are, can you elaborate on that?:) and thanks for the advice on the GI Bill. I just want to be able to leave the air force job ready you know? Do you have any books that you would recommend?:)

Old Dominion University has an online BS CS program that is actually reputable. I still think that a brick-and-mortar college option is better than online (assuming the school is reputable, and not a for-profit program), because you can discuss the material with folks in person (e.g., your instructor, the TAs, your classmates, etc.). This discussion is invaluable to your learning. But if that isn't an option, ODU is a good second choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#20 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:23 PM

Huh. Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but one of our alumni companies from the last season is right up your alley. Check out https://operationcode.org/
I haven't looked into their curriculum at all, but Conrad, the founder, seemed like a good together sort of guy. Might be some useful resources for you there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +