4 Replies - 461 Views - Last Post: 09 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C# -> Java. Should I make the switch?

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:06 PM

Hey,
So all in all aside being a hobbyiest programmer I'm also in the Finance industry. From experience and game development Im really comfrotable with C#. But after some research I have learned that most big banks and firms on Wall St look for more Java than C#. Is it worth it to make the switch or will they not care since these languages are 1 to 1.

Thank you,
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# -> Java. Should I make the switch?

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# -> Java. Should I make the switch?

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

I would not recommend switching, not because C# has any particular advantages over Java, but because you talk about it in terms of "switching" from one to the other, which suggests to me that you're still pretty new at this. Being new at this, you're going to be continuously tempted by the green green grass on the other side of every fence - starting a new thing will always seem like the best possible joy you could possibly find.

This is just a waste of time. There's nothing new to learn by switching around your tooling at this stage. Get a solid basis in the language you've started with, and then maybe learn something new. My usual benchmark for a "a solid basis" in a language is to be at a point where the language isn't getting in your way. If you can think about the concept you're trying to express, and you can break it down and express it without thinking about the language, then you know that language. If you've ever tried to learn a second natural language, you'll be familiar with the "translation" phase - when you have a sort of mental dictionary and a grammar book, and every sentence you hear or speak in the new language has to go through a conscious lookup and transformation step in your head before you can understand it or utter it. That's the phase you want to get past in C#. You'd like to be able to think about the functions and classes you need to write, and how they fit together, and not about the operators and the keywords and the types that you're you're going to manipulate.

Whatever progress you've made in C#, you haven't made that progress yet in Java, which means that to the extent anything changes in the switch, it'll be a setback.

There will be plenty of time to be a polyglot, don't worry. That time, for you, is not yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Brilliant thank you !
In terms of the the grass is always greener on the other side I wish someone told me that before.
I have wasted months questioning which language is best for webdev jumping from JS to Python to PHP back to Python.

Thanks again

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 09 March 2018 - 03:40 AM
Reason for edit:: removed previous quote, just use the Reply button

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

Bear in mind also that Java doesn't really just mean Java any more. There are other languages that compile for the JVM (Kotlin and Scala, for example) and you might find organisations doing these as well as Java, or moving to them from Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

As an aside, be warned that there is also the C# way of doing things, and the Java way of doing things. Although there are claims that the languages map to each other closely, there are things that are different in the way you would implement a solution. It's more than just the difference between British English and American English in terms of idioms and phrasing. It's more on the level of how men and women give driving directions differently.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1