4 Replies - 847 Views - Last Post: 13 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Graduating w/online B.S.C.S but don't have enough ex. to become de

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:01 PM

Help, I'm about to graduate!!

Hey guys,
I'm Jen and I still feel like a complete newbie at computer science. I'm 4 classes away from graduating and I have a 3.97 GPA. The problem is, I don't think my online education has taught me what I need to be successful in the real world. The only programming language I have experience with is Java and the only IDE I've used is Eclispe. I also come from a transportation background and I'm not a generally technically inclined person. My question is, how can someone like me be successful in becoming a software developer? I've been applying for Internships for a year now and no responses. I can see that they all generally want experience that I do not have. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm really starting to regret getting my degree online.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graduating w/online B.S.C.S but don't have enough ex. to become de

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graduating w/online B.S.C.S but don't have enough ex. to become de

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Not to be rude, but I honestly thought you were in an Intro to Java class based on your code samples. It sounds like your degree program was less than ideal, in terms of quality. While a solid four year degree program is certainly beneficial, they arenít necessary to become a software engineer. However, it is necessary to be able to program successfully and to have mastered the material in a freshman data structures class. Along the way, you should have developed non-trivial projects and mastered the basics of OOP.

It might be worthwhile to take Intro to Java and Data Structures I at a local community college, where you can interact with others in person. There is considerable value in this, as much of what you will learn will come from your discussions with your peers. I would also encourage you to bite off additional projects on the side. Project Euler and Rosalind.info are excellent places to sharpen your problem solving and programming skills.

You arenít industry right now, but it is certainly possible to be internship ready in a year or so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

No worries, I understand I should know a lot more than I do. My teachers are terrible at my school and often can't even answer my questions. I finally found this website which has been more help than my entire degree..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

So you feel like your degree hasn't taught you what you need to be successful - well, that's not surprising, degrees don't generally do that, in any field. They give you the rudiments, what you do with them is your business. A CS degree should give you a certain amount of experience writing code to spec, and it should give you some reasonable competence in some programming language, but the real point is to give you tools for reasoning about computation and for thinking about processes. It's computer science, which has not really got a lot to do with computers. (Dijkstra is famously supposed to have said that "computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes" - though I don't know if anyone has a solid cite for that)

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Not I. I don't know enough about your situation.
What are the things you feel you don't know, that you'd like to know, or that you'd expect to know? What classes have you taken, and how well do you think you did in them? Do you feel that you absorbed the material? Do you feel like there are depths that you'd like to go back and explore? Which courses were your favorites, and why?

What's the tech scene in your area? What sorts of positions are you seeing out there, that you'd like to be suited for? What sorts of meetups are happening, and which ones are you going to?

What would you like to be doing? What sorts of companies would you like to work for, in what sorts of fields, and what sorts of code would you most like to be writing? What are the things that most drive you? Are you trying to maximimize salary, and damn the torpedos, or are there considerations that you weigh highly enough to require consideration if you have competing offers?

Pick some of those and talk about them, and maybe some ideas will bubble up.

(Spoiler: All I'm doing here is getting you to start rehearsing for a serious job search and for job interviews. I don't want you to be surprised by having to think about these things suddenly, so I'm asking you to explicitly think them through now.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:03 PM

I've been applying for Internships for a year now and no responses. I can see that they all generally want experience that I do not have

Some company are welcome fresh graduated. They will not expect you have experienced since you just graduated, the important things is you should have a good, positive attitude towards your work.

This post has been edited by wseng92: 13 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1