6 Replies - 856 Views - Last Post: 18 March 2018 - 05:29 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Older person wanting to get into programming games.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:48 AM

Hi, I would like to start programming games, but I don't really want to take a class because there are too many to choose from, and I don't know which ones will actually teach me what I want to know and help me start building games right away. I'm in my 30's, and I wish I would have taken another path in life, like IT. As it is, I majored in the humanities and have only been able to find work as a teacher. Writing is great, but I would like to develop more skills to go along with it.

Since I'm already in my 30's, I feel kind of a sense of urgency, because I feel like it will soon be too late for me to actually work in the tech field. I mean, they like to hire kids. The few online coding tutorials I've tried to follow were confusing to me. I would like to find a good set of project-based courses that assume no prior programming knowledge.

Would anyone be willing to make suggestions?

I apologize if this was posted in the wrong area.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Older person wanting to get into programming games.

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Older person wanting to get into programming games.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:08 AM

Grab a book on a language and start working through it. I would suggest c# since it is one of he languages used with Unity3d, a game engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:08 AM

https://www.youtube....hD-hhDwSEDxogDg

great (free) tutorial for extreme beginners , learn python and you will have a good start !
:gun_bandana:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:25 AM

Whatever area you want to work in, programming is programming: it's basically math with lots of side effects. No matter how much of a hurry you're in, you'll have to start at the beginning and learn the basics. Start by learning to write simple programs, get yourself some discrete math while you're doing that, then get your head around data structures and algorithms. That ought to keep you busy for a while.

Just out of curiousity, why games particularly?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

I want to learn how to program games because they are a unique way of visual storytelling that fascinate me. Designing a working game in a programming language that is widely used for other applications might teach me more about the language I'm learning. Game making is project-based learning, and project-based learning is a good way to see what the pieces do and how they fit together.

I wouldn't mind taking advanced math, but right now I haven't made it past Calculus. Also, I'm just not likely to learn it well if I can't see how I will be applying it in the real world. Sorry, I know that's how kids think, but I really think it's applicable to adults, too. I like to learn by doing.

In fact, I don't really transfer concepts that well if the learning is too abstract, at least not at first anyway. Project-based learning is the best approach for me to take if I want to learn anything well, really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

Don't apologize to me, it's your own choice to be limited.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

In programming you need only addition , subtraction , multiplication , and division skills (basic skills) and basic trigonometry can be useful

You need to accept the fact that it takes time to learn , (a year or so for a beginner)

I found this on the internet -
https://scratch.mit.edu/download

it's free , small in size (40 -50 mb) and it will teach you basics of programming in about 1 week
you can make 2d games with it very easily (with some performance issues)

Once you've done that , since you want to get into game development I would recommend this -
https://godotengine.org/download

This is also free and small sized (40 - 50 mb)
Its a game engine that use python like programming for its scripting (writing code for games)
Accept the fact that you will need about 5 months to learn this engine if you you put great and quality efforts (about 2 hours "quality" practice)

but before beginning with godot I would recommend this playlist man -
it is gold for beginners -
https://www.youtube....hD-hhDwSEDxogDg

Once you've learned that you will be able to ship games to android , windows etc (it is cross-platform too!)

It will take a lot of time and effort to learn and a lot of effort while creating a game (but it will pay off the double of your efforts)
You've got limited time (everyone has got a limited time) start now !
If you put in your best efforts you will finish off with this in a matter of 5-6 months
afterwards you can start using unity (even stronger game engine)

Close this , start those tutorials , learn to program , don't give up , build a great game , become famous , and then thank me
(If you want hype , go watch a motivational video)
:gun_bandana:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1