10 Replies - 609 Views - Last Post: 03 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

I Want YOUR opinion on layout

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

I'm working on my company's website and I want it to have a really light and fun feel while retaining clean professionalism. I've got ideas for further branding especially in the header area and in a couple other places, but I have the overall layout set up and I wanted some opinions on font choice, colors, layout, etc. All of this is for design, not technical. It's currently a static site with no dynamics.

Here be the link!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I Want YOUR opinion on layout

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I Want YOUR opinion on layout

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:49 PM

Off the bat - not a fan of it. I hit the site and the home page does not tell me what I am looking at, what the site is about, or any information on the company.

I am concerned the images are all non-cited and come off as if this site has something to do with them.

The blog layout is confusing with the big white bar on the center right.. Perhaps until you have something disable it.

Your projects page has a mouse over effect to make it seem something should happen when clicked, but nothing does.

The footer copy right information - why not run that the length of the footer box instead of crammed all weird like in one corner?

I don't get why the header color changed to green when going to the projects page when the rest of the highlighting remains blue.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:57 AM

I agree with what modi said, especially the first point. I know many many websites don't explain who they are and what they do, because they just assume you know and it is so annoying! Like, you can read the latest news and what not but there is not even a line telling you who is speaking. A good example are libraries: They love to tell you how fast they are, how scalable, you know about the new features of the latest release, you know you can join the developer community, oh and there is a blog, and twitter, and facebook, blah blah blah but WHAT IS IT FOR DAMMIT! Don't make this mistake.

Another little thing is your white logo: people most likely don't know your logo yet, brand visibility and recognition must be part of your communication goals, so I would advise using your primary logo with its true colours, not a monochrome version. Now I think it looks way better the way you have used it, maybe it's still time to change your base logo if you don't like it.

I would add at least a letter-spacing: 0.03em to your titles, because the font face is not legible enough with the current spacing, but maybe consider using a less fancy font?

I'm not sure about the "hi guest" outside your header and on top of the logo. You have plenty of space on top of the navigation links. Why not place it there?

On your Projects page, it's weird that titles look less highlighted when you hover over them. Usually you do the opposite.

Other than that, graphically it's not too bad. It's flat, clean, there aren't many things going on so I don't feel lost or distracted (if I omit the fact that I don't know what the site is about)

This post has been edited by ge∅: 03 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input, guys! I've taken the "no idea what it is" concern into consideration and ill be addressing that with an image that will be where the battleship image is on the front page. That area is intended to be a slideshow element anyway.

The images on the website are all random images grabbed from the internet as placeholders, and I was already considering citation on images for clarity.

The blog layout will have a sidebar eventually if thats what youre referring to as the center right.

The projects page doesnt lead anywhere yet as i havent designed the project pages themselves as of yet.

Good point on the highlighting! I actually was already thinking about that since i was different "sections" of the site to have different colors.

As for the footer and the copyright info, i was thinking that it should run along the bottom as well. Looks dumb as it does now, but the site is just reconstructed from an older site i made.

I wasnt sure about type; the current font is free in licensing and its something ive used historiclly, so i agree it may need more spacing.

The highlighting for the projects links is something i can work with, but im not sure what direction to go in with it.

The reason the account stuff is at the top spaced above the header is because my intent is an SSO system and cross site navigation separate from the main site's navigation. Just thinking forward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

and ill be addressing that with an image

I hope your landing page will have more than an image explaining what it is... such as text.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

About the highlighted titles, your problem is that they are titles and you want them to look like your other titles, so I would add another indicator on top of their normal formatting. You could animate the image for example, zoom in, animate cyan triangle-arrow at the bottom which would indicate that you can go in... id don't know. This kind of thing should be planned ahead. Modifying an existing element to make it hoverable is more difficult than thinking of a hoverable object form the start, because you lay things out in a way which allows the hover effect to take place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 03 April 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

and ill be addressing that with an image

I hope your landing page will have more than an image explaining what it is... such as text.

Well, as much as you'd know what Rooster Teeth and Crunchyroll and Guerrilla Games are all about based solely on the content they initially place in front of you, I think a simple image that has a simple line like "Creating the best free-to-play experience ever" would work well enough. I guess you could consider it very much like a specialty site; you know where you're going ahead of time, usually.

View Postge∅, on 03 April 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

About the highlighted titles, your problem is that they are titles and you want them to look like your other titles, so I would add another indicator on top of their normal formatting. You could animate the image for example, zoom in, animate cyan triangle-arrow at the bottom which would indicate that you can go in...

Well, the idea is that they're glorified links. The other titles are essentially just grey, bold text. As far as ideas go, my original plan was for each project to be basically its own image banner. I'm open to suggestions and ideas for that.

This post has been edited by Splashsky: 03 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

I guess the visually impaired, or folk who just want to know and not guess, be damn. ;) haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

"Creating the best free-to-play experience ever" gives no insight what your product is. Is it a game engine for developers to create games, Is it a platform for players like Steam to find games, is it a collection of mods to enhance games, is it a console to play games? Who creates what exactly? You know... don't try to sound marketing.

A relatively good example, it's this page. If someone tells you "hey, check this out" and you go to this page, even if you don't understand everything about bundling or why you would need it, you get the idea pretty fast. The page assumes some things, it is true, but it tells you exactly what it does, and although it's not magnificent, it has this pseudo 3D thing going on, a little animation, a relatively self-explanatory visual... not too shabby. It's the only example that comes to mind right now but what I want to say is: be nice to your visitors and tell them what your site is about.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 03 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:02 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 03 April 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

I guess the visually impaired, or folk who just want to know and not guess, be damn. ;) haha

What would you do for accessibility? o:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

Text is king.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +