2 Replies - 598 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2018 - 12:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best language to create a database from Word files

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:36 AM

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum and new to the world of data management and programming -hence the naive question......

I have a over a thousand Word documents that contain a feedback questionnaire that has been returned by customers. At the moment, it is suggest that we open each document and copy and paste the information into an Excel file. This will obviously take a considerable amount of time and resource to complete along with the potential error.

I wondered if it was possible to write some code to do this for us? If so, which language would be best and how easy would it be to write? Is there something we could buy off the shelf to do this for us?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best language to create a database from Word files

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best language to create a database from Word files

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

Most any programming language can open up a text document.. parsing it to the required parts is a bit of a different story, but, in theory, shouldn't be too bad.

As for the databse - MSSQL, mysql, mariadb, etc would all work fine. Have a key column, and then columns for the sections for information in the survey.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best language to create a database from Word files

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

By Word, we mean MS Word? And, of course, Excel. You actually aren't asking about a database?

Yes, there is a best language for this: .NET languages. That is, Microsoft products that will support Office Application programming. This used to be the domain of VBA, but now it's more generally .NET.

Start here: https://msdn.microso...(v=vs.140).aspx

Code in the link is offered in the .NET flagship languages, C# and VS.NET. However, if I were doing a project like this, I'd probably use a PowerShell script.

Now, inserting into Excel a similar process with an Excel.Application object. Or, if you really want a database, the .NET languages have multitude of connection options out of the box. Indeed, you can use ODBC/OleDB abstractions to write to an Excel sheet as if it were a database and then be ready to move to more suited data store later.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1