3 Replies - 1022 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do you think about this book

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

Junit in action do you consider this book as good source to learn???I've downloaded examples but there are some misleadings between the code and the books content.regards
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do you think about this book

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What do you think about this book

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Release Date: July 2010
ISBN: 9781935182023

I'm not sure if there is a third edition.

As a rule you shouldn't bother with Programming books that are 8 years old. If you got it for free, maybe skim it, you might learn a thing or two but don't waste money on it or too much time. Find a more recent book.

I once made the mistake of buying some Ruby programming books that were 4 years old and it did not go well.

But every rule has exceptions. Many people will recommend some computer science books that are more than 30 years old, but for Junit, no.

And I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but I don't have any alternatives to recommend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 ndc85430   User is online

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:28 AM

I don't know about that book, but Beck's Test-Driven Development by Example is how I learnt about unit testing. The book covers more about the techniques, using JUnit for the code samples. I'm not sure one really needs a whole book on JUnit. The online docs are probably a good source of info.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Martyr2   User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:35 AM

One thing to also consider about that book is that it is going on 8 years old already and so JUnit has probably changed a bit since then. When it comes to books on specialized tools, age of the book begins to really matter. The only real "timeless" books are books on software architecture, design and best practices. (Clean code, Code Complete, Programmatic Programmer etc).

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1