3 Replies - 1044 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2018 - 12:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game development

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:47 AM

Greetings everyone,

I was wondering is C++ a good choice to learn for game development. I was always wondering what language or languages programmers use to create games complex as we know it today. I don't plan to make that complex game, it is naive even to think about it. Just curious is C++ a good choice or C# .
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game development

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game development

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

Honestly - I would suggest picking up C# and a game engine like Unity or Unreal. Get your feet under yourself, and take a small proof of concept game from idea to semi completion. See all the ins and outs.

I strongly would argue *AGAINST* trying to create some sort of game engine right off the bat. You are starting out so making an engine doesn't make much sense without seeing how it all runs end to end let alone making some 'off-in-the-weeds' crippled engine and learning bad practices trying to use/improve it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:02 AM

I think most complex games are written in C++, but it doesn't mean that you should use it.
C++ is more a language for professionals and I guess you aren't.
I think C# is a better option.
Another option might be Javascript. With HTML5 and Javascript libraries you can create nice games.
https://www.codeproj...&x=0&y=0&sbo=kw
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

It also depends on which aspect of game development interests you... If you are more into level design, use the scripting language that is supported by your game engine of choice: maybe LUA, maybe Javascript, etc. If you are into AI, then very likely it'll again be the scripting language supported, or it maybe a LISP, or it maybe Python, or some other language that exposes a C or C++ interface that the engine can call. For people working on physics or graphics, I think that C/C++ will give you the highest performance, but C# is a viable option. I don't have enough experience with areas of audio or controllers to identify any language options there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1