5 Replies - 1220 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Will Need Feedback Soon (Lua Compiler) - Windows

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:22 AM

As topic says, im working on Lua compiler for Windows, and its almost completed. Its free for all, open source, no money involved. So i will need testers and translators. Would like to make a list of testers who are interested in testing, as well as translators who wanna translate application in their language.

-It supports Lua 5.1.4 x86, 5.2.3 x86 & x64, 5.3.4 x86 & x64, and its portable.
-Translators much later, after i make unicode, bytecode and so on. English not needed, Netherlands reserved.

You can send me e-mail at <[email protected]> or private message so i can have you in the record to contact.
Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Will Need Feedback Soon (Lua Compiler) - Windows

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Will Need Feedback Soon (Lua Compiler) - Windows

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Can you give a bit more detail on the project? Are you talking about an AOT compiler or another JIT? If the former: are we talking about a bundle-the-interpreter-with-the-source-into-a-self-extracting-exe-type "compiler" or a real compiler?

View PostRadius Nightly, on 07 May 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

open source

Is it on github or otherwise already available?

-Translators much later, after i make unicode, bytecode and so on.

What does "unicode, bytecode and so on" mean? I don't see what the two have in common (other than both having "code" in their name) or how using bytecode in your compiler would affect translations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

JIT, dont think Lua can be AoT, nothing to extract. It precompile a code, then combining self-running interpreter with precompiled code, so they are both in the same executable file, basically when you run it, interpreter starts and reads a code thats inside him/same file.

I just made SourceForge to put it. Will be available here: https://ceres-compiler.sourceforge.io/

"And so on" mean i got lots of work around this, thats what they got in common, everything in its time. Application are non-unicode, so i dont see the point translating unfinished application that cant show nothing more then your region. About the bytecode, included lua scripts are not precompiled, because its loaded in RAM, its vulnerable, even there are protections, but once you run it from the RAM its revealed as is (in this case plain text).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 12 May 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

JIT, dont think Lua can be AoT

Everything can be AoT-compiled, it's just a question of whether it can be compiled to sufficiently fast code and whether it's worth the bother.

nothing to extract.

What do you mean by that?

It precompile a code, then combining self-running interpreter with precompiled code, so they are both in the same executable file, basically when you run it, interpreter starts and reads a code thats inside him/same file.

When you say it precompiles the code, do you mean to bytecode? Because earlier you said you hadn't implemented bytecode yet.

I just made SourceForge to put it. Will be available here: https://ceres-compiler.sourceforge.io/

The source code isn't available yet, right? At least I wasn't able to find it on the sourceforce page. Incidentally, SourceForge has a horrible UI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

Nothing to extract, i mean what you mentioned about compiled code, its not some self-extracting zip/exe to temporary files who launch extracted files.

Precompiler, yeah, bytecode. Main code can be precompiled, but doesnt have to be (in application you will see it accepts both .lua and .luac).
Confusion are about main code (its only one main code) and included code (scripts, can be lots of them). So, main code is .lua (or precompiled .luac), if its plain text (.lua), will be precompiled (.luac) before merging into the main file.
However additional files you included (such as .mp3, .jpeg, .png, .avi, .exe, .dll, and so on, and so on, and .lua scripts) are provided as is.

Forget about main code ATM, and focus on included files, if you wanna include additional eg. five lua script files, you can, and they wont be precompiled. Its gonna be 5 included files, lua, plain text, easier to reveal your code, you may be fine with that. Or you may like to precompile this 5 script files, and include 5 precompiled .luac files instead of plain .lua scripts.

So yeah, im planing to make precompiler too, thats what i meant with bytecode, also with UI (where you can precompile lua code into bytecode, one by one), but for the sake of speed (for peoples who wanna precompile multiple lua scripts, its gonna be possible trough command line, such as main.exe code.lua output.luac). And for this who needs something more, they will take a look into luac cli itself. Thats what i meant by bytecode.

Im new to SourceForge, i register yesterday, this project page are made today, and i mess up pretty much everything exploring around without undo/delete option. Its annoying, like 99% things i wanna delete (because i made them, and i figured out i dont need them), have to contact support, so they can delete it. I believe, tomorrow i will set it up. Source code are mess up ATM in three stages (like finished one, the one thats made early, working, but not finished, and the one im working on right now), so wont upload it yet for public until beta, but you can get it on private if you are interested, and its in form of all functions. Im making GUI, so dont expect anything smart.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 12 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

I put it on. Hope SF are configured fine so you can download it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1