6 Replies - 758 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2018 - 12:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

making a robot

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:21 PM

Ive done a lot of programming in games, and I thought, geeze im just a little guy that doesnt know anything about the real world, after all these years ive been living under a rock in front of my computer.

So I thought - why dont I get the games, and bring them into the real world!

So ive got my robot body design, its a bunch of rolls connected with motors, and im pouring rubber goop on it all to make it look a little solid in its design, with a proper body, otherwise it just looks like a stick insect.

So the system is parallel wired, and i have one analogue signal per motor to send from out the monitor through a cadmium sulphide receptor, to give the absolute position of each motor.

I was wondering - how should I go about animating this thing - theres some pretty fancy animation, like assassins creed, where its quite natural looking - does anybody have any clues about the more realistic animation for me to go try or look up?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: making a robot

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: making a robot

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

Like a physical bot powered by ardunio, or a vidja game robot?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for reply.

Oh yeh... I can simulate it in the computer as well.

Ill be doing both.

So what would be better than just ordinary key frames, cause thats what im thinking of but it doesnt seem very adaptive yet...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:34 AM

Use an existing engine if you want to do something fancy. I am partial to Unity, but unreal or cry are also free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:35 AM

yes sir. Ill have a look around, its there for me to find.

I found something similar to what i was envisioning, this cockroach robot kinda stands there and if you move it off its posture it returns to it, seems to be the basis of the idea of coming to the real world. looks pretty speccy too, theres really tiny pnuematic channels on it that look like hair.

https://youtu.be/eunuHrTPS1o

I kept to my plan and connected a pot to my dc motor but my results were pretty dismal, it couldnt even beat the friction of the pot.
I did a few things and now it should work but i just learnt how weak these robots actually are for a beginner compared to us bone&tooth creatures.

I think its going to take more experience if i want to make some overblown super robot, much to learn.

Thanks alot, this forum looks like a nice new place for me, ill be haunting every now and again to help answer questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

*shrug* I guess I still don't understand if you are doing a videogame thing or a real thing.

If the former then yes.. a game engine would be best so you can concentrate on coding 'the brain'.

If it is the latter then I would highly suggest an arduino (or raspberry pi + arduino combo) and, once again, start plinking away at the 'brain logic'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

thanks for your help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1