3 Replies - 380 Views - Last Post: 18 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Starting up an Online Tutoring Site

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

So my spouse and I are both teachers (she teaches elementary school science and I teach high school math) and we've been teachers for over 5 years. We're looking to start an online tutoring service on the side to help students and potentially make more money on the side. I've recently began learning a bit about programming/web development but it'll probably take me years before I get a good grasp on the fundamentals given that I am getting old... Some of our inspiration came from sites like Khan Academy, PatrickJMT and StudyPug. We would like to start off making videos like them on the subjects we teach, and potentially and online forum where we could help students one on one. Any pointers on how to get started (how to create the website, who to hire etc, any maintenance, fees, pricing... etc.) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting up an Online Tutoring Site

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting up an Online Tutoring Site

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

Any particular reason you would want to try and build a business from the ground up instead of using existing sites out there?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

I'll second ^.

Have you thought of doing a few courses on Udemy to see how you actually like it, prior to investing. Maybe allow them the overhead and you can do what you both enjoy doing instead?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

If you live near a local college, try getting on their tutoring list. The math department, for instance, is likely to have a tutoring list. You might also network with teachers at other schools. There is a conflict of interest in charging one’s own students for tutoring, but certainly no conflict of interest in charging someone else’s students at another school.

As it stands, there are numerous online tutoring services with a greater volume of more knowledgeable tutors, as well as sites like Chegg which hand out solutions. I fail to see what your competitive advantage is. From a business perspective, you would be spinning your wheels for little to no gain if you pursued the web option.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1